Author Topic: Shooting flow  (Read 6006 times)

Offline bow101

Shooting flow
« on: February 06, 2015, 10:58:36 pm »
What has anyone done in the last few years thats improved their bow shooting skills; and how did you learn it or just practice. 
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Shooting flow
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 11:10:01 pm »
I sold my modern bow with wheels a couple of years ago and focused solely on shooting primitive bows.  That's been the biggest thing that has helped me improve.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 12:07:57 am »
My hunting buddy and I were shooting lemons at 18 yards last week stuck on a bamboo stick untill we realized it made our arrows sticky. :) It really makes a difference when you define a small target to shoot at. We came to the conclusion that when you don't define a specific, small target, you get bored or lazy.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 05:23:26 am »
What REALLY improved My shooting, was follow through. Gary Davis pounded follow through and a proper grip into My thick skull, until it finally stuck  ;). Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 03:21:20 pm »
I sold my modern bow with wheels a couple of years ago and focused solely on shooting primitive bows.  That's been the biggest thing that has helped me improve.

I like that one, using a machine with sights, bells and whistles takes away from the challenge.   Kind of like driving a car without power steering, ABS brakes and all that other stuff.   

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 03:59:37 pm »
I found that one thing that was sending my arrows all over the claim was bending my knuckles. As soon as I straightened out the back of my hand most of my arrows started hitting the target.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 04:07:33 pm »
imo ... lotsa practice that includes lotsa focus on form improvement is ticket to accuracy improvement. 
Otherwise, it's just a bit of exercise ... which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 07:52:44 pm »
I found that one thing that was sending my arrows all over the claim was bending my knuckles. As soon as I straightened out the back of my hand most of my arrows started hitting the target.

Thats interesting I'll have to focus on that next time. You using a glove or finger tab. I don't use anything.  The finger tab sucks.  The glove is so - - so.   Funny how things go, I think my bow shooting is like billiards, I could not pick up a cue for 6 months then play a game and sink 3 balls in a row.  As the game goes on I won't sink any....... ???

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 08:05:24 pm »
I use a tab, I'm a wuss. After a few shots my fingers start to hurt.

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 03:06:24 pm »
Leaving the yard and conventional target behind. Going on hikes in the woods with my bow and just shooting random objects turds, stumps, weed tops (flowering ones like thistles are one of my favorites), mole mounds whatever stands out. Random distance and terrain don't be afraid to sacrifice a few arrows, shoot up, down, threw limbs, over logs and don't spend a lot of time on any shots the faster you identify a target and get the arrow in the air the more your instincts will take over like throwing a ball.
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 04:10:21 pm »
If I went stump shooting around here I would come home with no arrows. No open spots and thick undergrowth(and overgrowth).

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 07:46:36 pm »
Opened my right eye
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 10:09:23 am »
I switched from split finger to three under.

Stringman

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 02:21:46 pm »
I had trouble short drawing, so I started practicing 8 ft from the target. Start my draw, close my eyes, find my anchor and release. One smooth motion. Don't worry about hitting a dot, just find your anchor and commit it to muscle memory. Do that  40 times then step back to 10 yds and try to hit the smallest dot you can see. I was amazed at the difference.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2015, 02:31:20 pm »
Practice good form and small distances, then gradually proceed. Then go stump shooting. And squirrel shooting. Deer hunting. Rabbit hunting... Pretty much shoot anything that moves  >:D
Nothing ventured nothing gained