Author Topic: sidewinder buildalong  (Read 51680 times)

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: sidewinder buildalong
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2015, 05:51:12 pm »
Sometimes it feels very ungoronized Aaron.  But most everything has its place.  The large cement mixer takes up a lot of room.  I need to do something with it

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2015, 05:55:13 pm »
My unheated garage has finally stopped my bow work for awhile . I have been toughing it out but the last couple days have been ridculous. Weatherman says should warm up a bit this weekend, we'll see. Gotta love Michigan in Febuary.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline DC

« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2015, 07:47:44 pm »
Sometimes it feels very ungoronized Aaron.  But most everything has its place.  The large cement mixer takes up a lot of room.  I need to do something with it

What!! You've still got room for a couple of cars, some bicycles and a go-kart >:D

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2015, 10:57:52 pm »
Here is the stave I received.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2015, 11:02:09 pm »
I started chasing a ring last night on the stave.  I made it to the end with all the knots and slowed down.

There are some wind checks that go a little beyond the ring I am chasing.  I may need to go down one more ring. 

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2015, 11:14:08 pm »

What!! You've still got room for a couple of cars, some bicycles and a go-kart >:D

:) true

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2015, 01:00:30 am »
Mike, after looking at the rings on that one, I'm not sure thats not a piece of mulberry that got mixed in. I don't remember cutting too much small diameter osage with rings that thick. I may need to send you another piece that I know is osage. Mulberry makes a good bow, don't get me wrong, buts its not osage orange. I think they are cousins or something of the sort. Is it a pale yellow or a darker yellow?
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline ajooter

« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2015, 07:50:13 am »
I finished chasing a ring....well sorta.  Somewhere at the bottom I jumped a ring around one of the branches.  Good thing i 'practiced' i guess  :P.  I think I'm going to chase the 5th ring down in the last picture and see what that gives me.  The stave is 62 1/4" long.  Any insites are more then welcome.

Offline bobbykelley

« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2015, 07:59:15 am »
Got mine a few days ago just haven't had much time to work it. But I do have a plan laid out for it. Thanks Danny.
I make mistakes but I learn.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2015, 08:28:48 am »
Danny, the stave I have is a pretty dark yellow.  I am color blind so I am not the best judge of color but it looks almost an orange to me.  If this stave is mulberry, I have never had that wood either and it is a wood I have on my list to make a bow out of.  There is no need to send me another stave.  I appreciate the wood I got from you.

I will post a better picture taken outside later today so you can help me know what wood I am working.  😃

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2015, 09:14:53 am »
Danny, the stave I have is a pretty dark yellow.  I am color blind so I am not the best judge of color but it looks almost an orange to me.  If this stave is mulberry, I have never had that wood either and it is a wood I have on my list to make a bow out of.  There is no need to send me another stave.  I appreciate the wood I got from you.

I will post a better picture taken outside later today so you can help me know what wood I am working.  😃
those rings are intense   :)
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2015, 12:18:55 pm »
How deep is that stave jooter? I'd take it down to that big ring like 1/3 of the way in. The deeper in the tree the more the branch knots will subside. Just my 2 cents
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline ajooter

« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2015, 12:34:28 pm »
I was thinking that....would I be able to split that top portion off?  Or should I draw knife it all the way down?

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2015, 01:16:36 pm »
I'd draw knife it. Splitting never goes well for me on situations like that
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline ajooter

« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2015, 01:19:43 pm »
10-4 I'll get started tonight! ;D