Author Topic: Yew Hunting Bow Build-a-long  (Read 33070 times)

Offline portlandfire

Re: Yew Hunting Bow Build-a-long
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2015, 03:17:56 pm »
   Very well done and very enlightening...

Offline Woody Knot

• Woody Knot Crafts
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2015, 08:13:17 pm »
learnt plenty just watching and reading .. thank you

Offline Weylin

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2015, 11:38:51 pm »
Now that I've got the bow braced I can check the string alignment. This can be a frustrating set back on an otherwise cooperative bow. Luckily on this bow the stave was pretty darn straight and as I check the alignment I find that the string passes pretty much directly through the center of the handle. I left the handle full width until this point in case I needed to offset it slightly to one side to compensate.

Since I like what I saw with the alignment check I can finally reduce the handle. I like to do it at this point as opposed to later because Even though it theoretically shouldn't effect the tiller of the bow I don't really like the idea of taking off a lot of wood anywhere on the bow when the bow is well tillered and close to the target weight. First I freshen up my lines on the back to show me where to take off wood. This layout is just to get me on the right track with my handle shape I will reduce it to be smaller than these dimensions when it's all done.

I hog off some wood with my microplane and get it down to the lines to start with.

Then I start rounding it off. I like to move it around taking little bits off here and there and reduce it as a whole, checking as I go, instead of working it down to the final dimensions in one spot and then trying to make the other side match. That's a recipe for a wonky handle.

With a finer tool I gently round the edges on the back being careful to leave an untouched strip of the natural back going down the middle to maintain the integrity of the bow.

Getting closer, I'll refine it further later I just wanted to get it close to the final dimensions so there weren't any surprises later.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:42:22 pm by Weylin »

Offline smoke

« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2015, 09:01:25 am »
Nice!  I've picked up some good pointers with the build-along. Thanks for posting it!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2015, 12:55:59 pm »
Great build along Weylin

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2015, 01:16:49 pm »
Awesome buildalong. Thanks for taking the time to do this!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2015, 03:27:14 pm »
Yo, I'd somehow missed this thread.
Looking good  :)
I've found sometimes it needs a bit of light heat treating to hold in any bend on some Yew, other times it stays just fine.
Nice stave, the knots are pretty challenging, but that's a great shape for a Yew bow... looks a bit like my fave bow, except I don't have the flip tips.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2015, 04:42:07 pm »
Mind if I ask what brand and where to get that microplane?

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2015, 05:42:35 pm »
Very nicely done Weylin.  Very cool to see new things and new ideas. Thanks for taking the time. :)

Offline bubby

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2015, 06:19:31 pm »
I googled the microplanes, not real pricy I might have to get one
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2015, 08:48:03 pm »
I don't have any nice rasps to compare to, but the microplanes have been awesome in my experience!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2015, 10:55:48 pm »
Thanks, guys! Glad it's helpful.  :D

Del, the knots gave me some trouble. especially since it wasn't my stave. I really didn't want to mess up another guy's stave for him and I found myself hesitating and second guessing more than I usually do.

Sled, I think the brand is actually called Microplane. Like Bubby said, they're not pricy. You can get different kinds of "blades" that snap in and out, flat, round, coarse, fine, etc. I find some work better than others. I don't care much for the round ones, for instance. I bought mine at my local Woodcrafters.

Accipiter, I don't have any nice rasps either. makes the microplane an easy choice when I reach into my tool box.  ;D

Offline Weylin

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2015, 11:05:31 pm »
Time to do something with these ugly tips! Once again, I know it shouldn't technically matter to the tiller what I do with the tips but I like to get them slim and trim earlier rather than later just in case.

I get in there and really take off some wood and horn taking down the dimensions of the tips. I used to be more of a sissy about this but I just ended up with clunky tips. I'm sure I could make them even smaller if I wanted but this size seems reasonable to me for this style bow.

Then I clean them up with a small file and make sure they are even and symmetrical.

I make the bottom tip minimalist and rounded. It gets banged around more and touches the ground from time to time. Better to keep it safe and simple.

The top tip I make slimmer and longer.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2015, 11:16:29 pm »
Lookin awesome weylin.   Love your bows!! I Went with your 'compare' for unbacked boy.  I'm sure this one won't be far off.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2015, 11:30:53 pm »
Nice tips, more ways than one ;)