Author Topic: Tiller advice appreciated  (Read 1687 times)

Offline KS51

Tiller advice appreciated
« on: February 17, 2015, 11:51:00 pm »
Hoping you guys can offer some tiller advice.  This bow is 70-1/2" NtN, 1-1/2" wide, 6 " out of the fades then tapering to 7/16" tips, handle area including fades is only about 7".  My target is 50# @ 32".  This is Trapped Bamboo - Cherry - Hickory and originally had 1-1/2" of reflex.  It is currently pulling to 24" @ 50#.  Here are unbraced, braced, and draw pictures.  Do you think I can reach my target draw and weight?  I'm not sure and I've never tillered to that draw length before.

All opinions are welcome.

Ken

Offline Blaflair2

Re: Tiller advice appreciated
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 11:53:29 pm »
I got outter needs a little removal
Nothing ventured nothing gained

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 03:04:46 am »
Looking good so far but I wouldn't touch the inner limbs at the moment, try working from mid to outer a little.
The main thing that I would be doing from now on out is really eyeballing where it is taking set. The set and it's location will tell you everything you need to know.
I would unstring the bow and trace the profile of the back onto the tillering board (with something removable!) then every time I exercised it after wood removal I would immediately unstring it and compare it to the traced profile.
Follow the mantra of no set inner limb, a little mid limb and the rest outer limb.
I use this method all the time now and it's hard to get  an incorrect tiller - the wood tells you everything!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 03:56:48 pm »
mikekeswick is a very smart man............