Author Topic: some neolithic arrows, great lakes pattern  (Read 8321 times)

Offline half eye

some neolithic arrows, great lakes pattern
« on: February 21, 2015, 12:28:16 pm »
Fellas,
    I made these arrows for use/display by the Neshnabek up west of Escanaba. The shafts are wild rose that was given to me by Mr. Badly Bent. The heads and specialty flint tools were made by Mr. Dan Hamblin.....I supplied the cussin >:D

Notes on the build:
1. simple straight cut-off's are a lot of work.
2. cutting/grinding the head and string slots is a lot of work.
3. shaping the fletch is some kinda work
Anyway here are the pics. If there is any questions please ask as I dont know what all to cover in the header.

One side note is that the stone tool cuts a PERFECT slot for setting the head, so tight in fact that pitch is not necessary.
rich

Offline half eye

Re: some neolithic arrows, great lakes pattern
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 12:30:02 pm »
more pics

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 12:31:25 pm »
here's some more

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 12:37:32 pm »
  Outstanding work Rich...Beautiful arrows  :o 8)  I know how much work goes into making primitive arrows but with stone tools that is amazing...They are definitely hunt worthy sir...
                                                                                                                        Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 12:39:02 pm »
Very well done sir! Did you just use the split piece to cut the feathers to size? That is a good idea if so. Did you glue the fletchings on? I like the finish as well. A lot of work I'm sure but it makes you appreciate what our ancestors did. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 12:42:49 pm »
A couple things I forgot....
1. No rulers used, the arrows are 2 and a half spans (one way to measure, the other being from the crook of the elbo,down and around the widdle finger and back to the wrist)  Interestingly enough on me that makes arrows exactly the same size.
2. I made @ arrow on a seperate day to see if the hand measurements are accurate for making a "set" of arrows....the pictures kind tell you yest they are.
3. The red riband is one span long.
4. The feathers in the pic with the holder are done two ways the one in the stick is burned, the loose one was cut....both using the twig-jig.

A point of curiosity is this. I read a military report from one Captain Burke (extensively quoted by national museums) where he corrected himself by saying first....." the length of the bow, or rather the string is........".  On the bow I posted the bow is 5 and 1/2 spans long and the string is exactly 5 spans long, with the arrows being 2-1/2 spans the proportions are spot on as far as I'm concerned.

enjoy the pics fellas.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 12:48:06 pm »
Leb, yest the great lakes arrows were three fletch and glued down as well as hafted. The most common way was putting pitch into and incised grove then setting the feather and then wrapping. I used some gummy sap, no grove, and just enough to hold them till they were wrapped.
(told I didn't do it "right")
rich

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 12:54:01 pm »
Great info bud! I was wondering about the groove. I've seen them done like that before.  I plan on one day making a set of more primitive style arrows. (with modern tools :laugh:) I really like the split piece being used as a fletch burning jig. Thanks for posting! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 01:04:26 pm »
Very attractive finished arrows Rich. If I were to make any using those methods I believe I would be real picky about what I choose to to shoot at, wouldn't want to break or lose one of those. Cutting those notches and shaping those feathers must be time consuming, plus they just look so good it would hurt to have one broken or lost. Nicely done!
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 01:13:36 pm »
B2, funny you should mention that, they are enough work that I understand perfectly why they wanted ALL of there arrow back, even if ya had to track the deer down and beat him to do it ;D ::)
rich

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 04:50:26 pm »
 8)  Awesome!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Sockrablur

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 05:25:00 pm »
Great work, thanks for the pictures!

Offline Roy

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 05:56:01 pm »
Very nice work...

Offline half eye

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 07:27:27 pm »
Mr. Crafty, Sockrablur, and Roy....thank you fellas. Like I said.....after ya make them this way ya know why they was held real precious.....not so much to not use, but not used carelessly either.

Hey B2, I'm makin a few more and fully intend to "send em" if the whitetails co=operate this year. I got no class at all.... 8)
rich

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 11:29:10 pm »
Really cool Rich