Author Topic: Tip overlays on a sinewed bow  (Read 5416 times)

nailbender

Tip overlays on a sinewed bow
« on: January 24, 2008, 02:04:26 am »
I'd like to put tip overlays on the bow I'm working on now, a sinew backed birch. My question is whether to glue them to the tips and just lay the sinew up to the overlays, or to sinew the bow and then glue the overlays on top of the sinew backing? Dale.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Tip overlays on a sinewed bow
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 08:18:55 am »
The last one I did,I put the sinew on and then trimmed it back and fitted the tip on the wood back of the bow.Some folks don't go all the way to the tips with the sinew anyway.I would think it would be easier to put the sinew down and then trim rather than try and fit it right up to the tip overlays.
Just my thoughts. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 10:44:33 am »
I wouldn't try to glue an overlay on sinew, I don't think that is likely to hold well.  I'd put them on first, and then like Pappy says either run it to the overlay and stop, or feather it out over the beginning of the overlay.

Question though, why add a tip overlay on a sinewed bow?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 11:26:36 am »
I glue all of my overlays on top of the sinew without any problems. I sand the sinew flat first then shape the overlay so that it has an good fit and glue them on
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sonny

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 01:48:38 pm »
there's no reason to run sinew as far as a tip overlay......hope that makes sense. it did when I thought it but doesn't sound quite right for some reason.  :-\
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

nailbender

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 12:07:10 am »
Thanks guys, appreciate the help. The reason I want to put overlays on is to protect the string nock area and to add a little something to the look of the bow. I plan on using some deer hooves I've got for the overlays and for the strike plate. Hope it comes out looking like the picture in my head. :) Dale.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 03:44:09 pm »
In the couple sinewed ones I've done, I have ended the sinew a couple inches from the tips

Dave

nailbender

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 02:59:19 am »
 Well, I've got the the tip overlays glued on. I just decided to lay the sinew almost to the tip, and just wrap the end up to the overlay. I used some of that deer hoof I had and I must say I think it will look very nice. I polished a small piece of it with 600 grit sandpaper, and it turned out very smooth and glossy. My wife likes it, too. She's started refering to this bow as 'her bow'. I was going to post a picture, but the batteries in my camera need to be charged. I'll try to get one posted tomorrow.

Dale

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 06:45:51 pm »
On 2 of the sinew backed bows I built, 1 a recurve and 1 straight, I didn't put sinew on the non working limb tips. I put a silk wrap set in super glue to hold down the sinew. Sinew and hide glue weight more than most woods so by adding the sinew all the way to the tips you are just adding tip weight which robs cast and adds to hand shock.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mgoblue999

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 12:37:34 pm »
nailbender....

How's the pic of the deer hoof tip coming?  I'd really like to see it.  I'd never thought of using that, but sounds nice.  I usually throw them away every year anyway, so it would be good to have a use for them.

BK