Author Topic: Holmegaard build along  (Read 106682 times)

Offline adb

Holmegaard build along
« on: January 26, 2008, 06:58:08 pm »
Hi, Everyone

Well... here we go. As requested, a Holmegaard build along. I have been commissioned to build a Holmegaard bow. 66", hickory backed osage, pin nocks, 52 - 57# @ 27". This will be a backed board bow. Not exactly primitive. I will also be using power tools, namely a bandsaw. Final tillering, of course, will be done by hand.
I am by no means an expert. I certainly don't profess same. This is the way I do it. I'm sure some will disagree, but I've been very pleased with how these bows have turned out.
For today, I've done the glue-up. Pictures to follow.

Offline adb

Re: Holmegaard build along
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 07:04:05 pm »
First pic is of my gluing form. 3 pieces of 3/4" plywood glued together, which makes it 2 1/4" wide. 78" long. 2 1/2" thick. The top surface has been run over a joiner to make it dead flat. Then, I tape the surface with clear packing tape, so the glue won't stick to it. The middle section has been left thicker, so I can place it in the vice. I've drilled a large hole through to allow a clamp at mid section.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 07:18:52 pm by adb3112 »

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 07:08:34 pm »
As mentioned, this will be a hickory backed osage bow. I'm using 1/8" hickory, 2" wide, cut quarter sawn, so the grain runs full length, with no grain run-off. The osage is 68", rift sawn, nice straight grain, running full length, again, with minimal run-off, and no knots. Both boards, I have cut myself.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 01:27:44 pm by adb3112 »

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 07:30:57 pm »
OK, on to glue-up. I'll be using TB3. All surfaces must be clean, for a strong joint. Any dust will cause a weak joint, so I use my shop vac to clean my bench top and board surfaces. Gluing happens at the molecular level, so there is no need to rough up the surfaces to be glued.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 07:42:15 pm »
Osage tends to be a bit oily, so I like to clean the gluing surface with isopropyl alcohol. I use presaturated swabs, which are lint free. I allow at least 20 mins. for it to dry. I don't do this with the hickory.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 07:54:38 pm by adb3112 »

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 07:43:58 pm »
More pics of surface cleaning with alcohol.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 07:56:00 pm »
Time for glue. I lay a heavy bead of TB3 on the backing strip. Don't be stingey with the glue... it's cheap compared to the material.

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 07:59:10 pm »
I like to smooth out the glue with a 2" sponge brush. No chance of bristles ending up in your glue. I'm also wearing latex gloves, to prevent contamination from oil on my hands.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 08:07:17 pm »
After I've smoothed out the glue on the backing strip, I place it on the form. The other nice thing about TB3... it cleans up with water, so I have a wet rag handy.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 08:18:21 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to do this build along. Can't help but notice
that your shop is way to clean :o ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 08:19:12 pm »
If you haven't noticed, I use a layer of wax paper on my work bench. Makes clean up easier. Next step, of course, is applying glue to the osage board. Then, I lay the two boards together. You don't have to rush, but you do need to work with purpose, as most wood glues have an open time of about 20 minutes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 01:30:02 pm by adb3112 »

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 08:24:26 pm »
Sorry, that's it for now. My wife has purchased tickets to an all you can eat Ukranian food dinner. Cabbage rolls, perogies, beer... I gotta go. Besides, I'm getting the look... she doesn't want to be late! I'll post more later tonight!

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 01:26:39 am »
sandals on your feet, an apron  :o, no wood shavings on the floor or work table, everything in its place...and you call yourself a primitive bowyer. Sheesh!!! :D ;D ;)
   I'm looking forward to your build-a-long. Hickory backed osage is a great combo and the Holmsgaard design should put it over the top.  8)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 03:49:18 am »
OK, back from dinner and a movie. Where were we? Oh, yah... glue up. Now that I've applied glue to both surfaces, and matched them on the form, I start with the center clamp.

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 04:01:00 am »
From here on, the remainder of the glue-up is done with rubber inner tubes. I previously used clamps, but I found my glue lines were inconsistent. I start wrapping from the center, working my way out to the tips. I apply good firm pressure, stretching the rubber as much as I can.