Author Topic: 50 year old longbows  (Read 7145 times)

Offline huntertrapper

50 year old longbows
« on: January 27, 2008, 09:29:23 pm »
Bows my uncle gave to me. I havent made one yet so ill use one of these for deer this year. my uncle is in his 60's and hunted with them when he was my age. (16) the one was my grandpa's his brothers, he made a rest using a cap to a bottle. thats what the one picture is. i knew i wouldnt be able to make a bow for archery so i had to either buy a longbow or get one from my uncle so he gave me one.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Modern Day Tramp

Offline tom sawyer

Re: 50 year old longbows
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 12:03:11 am »
Very nice bows, what make are they?  Be careful stringing them for the first time, and exercise them some at a low draw length.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 04:51:12 am »

on an old shooter like that, would it make sence to carfuly sand off the finish and renew it before you take it out?? or would it be enough to wax them??
Frank from Germany...

Minuteman

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 09:37:07 am »
Phew!
 Those are AT LEAST 50 years old if the time frame you mentioned is correct. Could be older.  I'd certainly take it slow on the stringing and drawing part.Maybe string one for an hour or two then let it rest overnight and string it again for a few hours the next day before you start to bend it. Those bows are old and stiff and may not take kindly to being made to do work at such an advanced age.
 Wax is a good idea to prevent moisture entering any bow.
 Why wouldn't you be able to make your own bow?

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 01:10:56 pm »
Why wouldn't you be able to make your own bow?
My question, too ???
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 05:39:21 pm »
  Usually the problem with those old Lemonwood bows is they usually are too dry.I have one I shoot that is close to 80 years old.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 07:47:01 pm »
i cant right now because i just cut some stave. and they are still seasoning. archery starts september. Well, whats the average seasoning time for bows?
Modern Day Tramp

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 09:19:51 pm »
You have lots of time to make a bow. Get a stave roughed out to floor tiller, you might have to strap it
to a 2x4 to keep it from warping, put it somewhere warm and in a month or so yer good to go. In the meantime
I would string one of them ole timers up and start practicing. Just do as was suggested break em back in sloooooooooowly ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 09:33:34 pm »
  If you shoot them, be sure and not pull them to a full draw. Excercise them over a few days by increasing the pull each day. I would start by stringing them, using a stringer. Just let them sit strung for a few hours and then just work the string over and over. If they don't blow at the first full draw, you are probally good to go. They are just like old timers now, treat them that way. Get them warmed up slowly and I'll bet they will have the stamina to go all day. Just ask Pat  ;D ,but heck if they blow, that's the way I'd want to go. ;)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 10:46:25 pm »
ok thanks guys. I just put a leather rap on the handle so once that dries ill string it up. its a 55 pounder. the other is 45. 45 is enough for deer i think, but the extra weight aint gonna hurt. as for making a bow. i dont exactly have a draw knife. i have a small draw planer or whatever its called but thats it. i need to get a draw knife.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 11:12:46 pm »
  I made my first bow scraping with a pocketknife. Jamie made some with glass and stone flakes.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 11:36:46 pm »
I don't think I would string it at first.  Get a string longer than the bow and just get the tips moving a few inches for a while, then string with a low brace and exercise some more. 
I made 6-8 bows before I got a draw knife.  Most tools are luxuries not necessities.  ;) A good cabinet scraper and on old horse shoeing rasp will make a lot of bows. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 11:53:51 pm »
oh ok. but if i get good at bows id like to have a knife. the indians had to use flint and knives i suppose i can too. thanks again guys
Modern Day Tramp

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 02:25:06 am »
those look like old ben pearson bows, he made a lot of them out of hickory and lemonwood. one note of caution on these types, the glue laminating the handles tends to break down and I have seen this section pop off when strung, easy enough to fix if it doesnt splinter any of the wood. I would exercise the limbs slowly as suggested, and if they hold together then you could re-finish them.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 06:43:56 pm »
juniper junkie thats exactly what happened to both. i reglued the one. wrap it tight with artificial sinew and sew a handle of leather tight to it. i hope it works.
Modern Day Tramp