Author Topic: your "go-to" bow  (Read 7556 times)

Offline sonny

your "go-to" bow
« on: January 28, 2008, 01:07:36 pm »
Before next fall I plan on building [at least] one bow that will hopefully be my "go-to" bow (for hunting) though I would like to hear about your favorite bow- whether it's for hunting, 3D, whatever-  and why it's your favorite.

Right now I think it's going to be a 66-68" long osage flatbow, stiff handle, tillered to 60# at my 26" draw. Yes it'll be overbuilt but I feel as if it'll be reliable, durable and I'll never worry about breaking it...

Please tell me about what you'd build and why....or if you have a favorite please tell me about it!!
Pics would be good as well!!

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Kegan

Re: your "go-to" bow
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 01:15:12 pm »
The "Perfect Bow" described by Tim Baker in for bows to 50#, but longer, stronger, and preferably with a heat treated belly. I have one without a heat treated belly made of hickory that pulls 80# at 27" and has about 2" string follow.

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 01:21:01 pm »
I have a bamboo backed tiger maple bow that follows me everywhere.  55#@28".  I can hit with the darn thing now that I have arrows tuned for it and sometimes I even amaze myself with it.  I have a hickory self bow that pulss 60# at the same draw that is quickly moving up the charts though

I guess I should have added that it was 68 inches long 66 nock to nock
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 03:08:34 pm by stiknstring »

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 08:54:26 pm »
Actually, it has about 3" of string follow- but it's strong enough to to still hit hard. Here's a pic.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 09:01:27 pm »
my favorite is a hickory unbacked bow. it draws 65 lbs @29". 68 in nock to nock. it's conststent, lightweight, and dependable.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 09:02:21 pm »
mine is an osage bow, about 65# @ 26  and 61inches  it has seen the mountians of idaho and the swamps of florida- Ryan

Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline bowmo

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 11:47:10 pm »
Osage...60#s at 28", 62"ntn and 1-1/25" wide with a stiff handle. Reflexed 3-1/2" before tillering and now holds 2" of that with the flipped tips. Hardwood overlays so I can use a fastflite string if I want. Tru oil finish. Nothing dependable like osage...
I like it because it shoots where I look and because like all my osage bows, I know I can count on it...

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 11:50:28 pm by bowmo »

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 01:17:17 am »
Has to be my Vine Maple Bow....nuthing Fancy .....66 inches NTN ....57 pounds at 28 inches....no Finish but Bacon Grease mixed with Bees Wax....Really Light....no fears of Hurting the Finish while Hunting....it Shoots where you look....Full of Piss and Vinegar.... and lots of Character

« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 01:21:34 am by yankeemongiat »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 08:10:57 am »
My favorite is always my new one,till the next one is finished,I always say I am going to
stick with just one each year but I never seem to do it,Most of mine shoot about
the same anyway,some a little slower and some a little faster but at hunting range
it don't make much difference. :) Some good looking bow there.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 09:23:21 am »

My last couple both are performing really well and are both HHB. I'm sure I'll make some more bows between now and next hunting season. Time will tell what I carry in the woods with me for the 2008 season.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 09:59:48 am »
If I had to go with one bow it would be an R/D bow in either Elm or HHB. Something like this bow without the sinew

These bows are not that hard to make and performance is right up there with the very best.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 12:53:35 pm »
...........Whatever I have on hand at huntin' season. Give em all away after I build em. I am a bit partial ta cypress an sycamore however........bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 01:31:00 pm »
Right now its this nice little bendy handle bow I recieved from jamie in the Christmas trade,
of course its my only bow right now. Like bob said I keep giving them away or making em for someone else.

"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 06:03:38 pm »
Just gave my go-to bow to Jamie, so now I have incentive to finish some of those half-done bows sitting around.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 06:46:15 pm »
My favorite is always my new one,till the next one is finished,I always say I am going to
stick with just one each year but I never seem to do it,Most of mine shoot about
the same anyway,some a little slower and some a little faster but at hunting range
it don't make much difference.

Ditto for me pappy. Once Ive killed a deer with a bow I usually retire it and build a new one. I'm always experimenting looking for the perfect design or the perfect piece of wood.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....