Author Topic: Venison Philly Cheese Steak Recipe  (Read 21051 times)

Offline tom sawyer

Venison Philly Cheese Steak Recipe
« on: January 29, 2008, 06:01:18 pm »
Just getting hungry and thought I'd relay a recipe we tried this weekend.  I was inspired by the Hardees commercial for their latest burger that has Philly cheese steak meat on it.  I pulled a venison roast out of the freezer, let it thaw a bit and then cut it wafer thin with a meat slicer.  we're talking 1/16" thick slices, it took awhile.  You really need a slicer but I think if you had great patience you could do it with a knife.

I lightly sauteed some onions and green pepper slices and set them in a bowl.  Then I fried the meat a handful at a time in some grease and added a dahs os soy sauce and some garlic powder during the frying.  I put that in another bowl.  Then I made each sandwich by toasting the bun, then heating a generous portion of the meat, onions, and peppers together for a minute while melting a piece of American cheese over it.  This was scooped on the bun and served immediately while it is still steaming.

It was as good as any Philly cheese steak I've had.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Dano

Re: Venison Philly Cheese Steak Recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 06:06:07 pm »
Sounds great to me, course I'd rather eat home cookin that fast food any day.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 06:07:21 pm »
Lennie, I've made those before and they're great. Except I have to use a knife, don't have a slicer. Half-frozen meat is easier to slice thin. I like bambi tips too-made just like stir-fried beef tips except using venison with the peppers, onions, and mushrooms. I'm suddenly getting hungry now, for some reason.  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

wvfknapper

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 09:27:18 pm »
I'll take two ta go  ;D

I cut up 3 deer this past fall and we fix it all kinds of ways, Thanks for something new to try,,,,, We Had Bear steaks fried with tators and onions for supper, mm-mmm good.

wvflintknapper

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 11:29:43 pm »
Hillbilly that sounds like something good to do with a tenderloin, I'll definitely give that a try soon.

WV whats bear taste like?  Pretty much like deer?

I forgot to menton, I am also trying something new with another deer roast.  I'm trying to make my own homemade corned beef/pastrami out of a venison roast.  I found a recipe for the brine online, it has salt, sugar, and a bunch of different spices.  It doesn't use canning salt but there are recipes that call for it.  I'm brining the meat right now, its supposed to take a few days at least.  I checked it tonight and it needs another day or two I think.  It smells like corned beef already though.  I have to see how to cook it after the curing, then I'll turn it into pastrami by coating one side with cracked pepper and coriander.  Ought to be some good eatin', I'll keep you posted.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 11:43:11 pm »
Lennie, I usually use meat from the hams for stir fry and marinate it over night like you would the beef sirloin tips. I likes my tenderloins sliced and fried with taters and biscuits. Oh, and bear is great, too-tastes kinda more like beef than deer. You can actually render bear fat out and use it as shortening for making biscuits and stuff, or for frying things in. We had some bear roast for Christmas dinner. Venison tacos are delicious too, and not greasy like the beef ones.
Smoky Mountains, NC

wvfknapper

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 11:59:18 pm »
Tom

Bear is between deer and beef, it's got sort of a sweet taste, kinda stringy meat, I actually like it better than deer but it's harder to kill a bear so when you do have some it's really good  ;) As with all wild game it is best to remove all the fat as this is where the gamey taste comes from, plus onions will take away some of the gamey taste also, and nothing like sweet onion fried.

wvflintknapper

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 12:15:59 am »
Robert, aren't you the "other" Hillbilly?  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

wvfknapper

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 07:40:39 am »
Hillbilly

Actually, For about 5 years on some knapping forums I went by Hillbilly also  ;D and most of my knapping buddies still call me hillbilly,,, we might be kinned  ;)

Where you from?

wvflintknapper

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 08:35:42 am »
Yum Yum, ;D ;D Hope GreB don't see this,he will be on the way to your place. ;D Or
want me to try that at the cabin. ;D Sound good,both of them I'll have to give that a try. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 09:28:47 am »
Robert, I thought that was you. Everybody has always called me hillbilly because, well, I'm a hillbilly  :) I'm from the Smokies down in western NC.
Smoky Mountains, NC

CastIron

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 12:38:13 pm »
Yum Yum, ;D ;D Hope GreB don't see this,he will be on the way to your place. ;D Or
want me to try that at the cabin. ;D Sound good,both of them I'll have to give that a try. :)
   Pappy

Pappy I bet we could use that new fangled feather slicer you got to get the meat real thin ;D

Hey Tom the next time you slice up a roast try a good size one and take the "sheets" of meat and spread on a layer of cooked rice mushrooms and peppers and roll them up and grill lightly then place in the oven for about 30min or so to finish.

Offline Postman

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 12:56:46 pm »
Sounds good - best part, ya dont have to go to Phiadelphia!
 My favorite deer dishes involve taking tenderloin, pounding it out a bit, and doing Italian restaraunt veal recipies, like marsalsa, piccatta, ect. Tastes better than the 15$ veal in the restaraunt.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 04:15:21 pm »
Just getting hungry and thought I'd relay a recipe we tried this weekend.  I was inspired by the Hardees commercial for their latest burger that has Philly cheese steak meat on it.  I pulled a venison roast out of the freezer, let it thaw a bit and then cut it wafer thin with a meat slicer.  we're talking 1/16" thick slices, it took awhile.  You really need a slicer but I think if you had great patience you could do it with a knife.

I lightly sauteed some onions and green pepper slices and set them in a bowl.  Then I fried the meat a handful at a time in some grease and added a dahs os soy sauce and some garlic powder during the frying.  I put that in another bowl.  Then I made each sandwich by toasting the bun, then heating a generous portion of the meat, onions, and peppers together for a minute while melting a piece of American cheese over it.  This was scooped on the bun and served immediately while it is still steaming.

It was as good as any Philly cheese steak I've had.

You really need a slicer but I think if you had great patience you could do it with a knife.
Sounds good. Bet I could slice it that thin with my Sandoku knife.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

CastIron

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 02:15:49 pm »
Maybe you should have shown a picture of the sandwich at full draw and the thread could have stayed  GregB Will surely find it now  ;D ;D
or a new title baguette backed venison with pepper and onion lams  :)