Author Topic: finding arrow stock in florida  (Read 2876 times)

Offline willie

finding arrow stock in florida
« on: March 06, 2015, 05:23:16 pm »
I will make a trip to central/northern florida soon and want to spend some time harvesting shoots for making arrows

what are my best choices to look for?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: finding arrow stock in florida
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 05:34:53 pm »
Probably switch cane(Arundaneria tecta) or an Asiatic invasive cane like Japanese arrow bamboo.   I really don't know Florida fauna so that's all I can suggest.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 11:31:09 pm »

Ask Mullet.  I think white springs, off of I-75 has a bunch, I think that is where I went, there is Japanese arrow bamboo all over.  You can fill your truck up with it.  It might be another place.  I can't remember for sure.  Good stuff though!
                                     Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 08:37:45 pm »
Wayne's right. Go across the Suwanee and then two blocks past the stop sign at 41. or it is in the Stephen Foster State Park.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 12:20:38 am »
Yup, along highways and country roads keep an eye out for bamboo growing.  I know of two patches within 30 minutes of where I live.  I'm in central Florida and I can PM you coordinates if you like.  It's invasive so for the most part nobody cares if you harvest a few hundred of them.  Most will thank you.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 07:31:20 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys, I have been traveling for a few days and haven't had a chance to log in to see the recent responses.
Any body willin to make a recommendation about how to size the bamboo for 40-50# spines? I do remember someone saying once that they used an end wrench for a sizer when they went picking, but I cannot remember what size wrench or which end of the shoot to gague.
thanks
willie

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 10:24:49 pm »
7mm seems to work pretty well for me.--as an average diameter.  that is with garden stake bamboo.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 11:06:31 pm »
A 3/8" open end wrench makes a good gauge for hardwood shoots and cane shafts. about 5/16" at the nock.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC