Author Topic: Floor Tillering  (Read 17724 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Floor Tillering
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2015, 08:29:38 pm »
I've tillered with the stave strung particularly to get the bending to start at the end of the fades. Be careful not to nick the string. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline webrx

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2015, 09:14:05 pm »
cool,

Seems like I am always learning something new on this site.

I will give tillering while strung a try next time

Thanks

d
Experience - that thing you get just moments after you needed it.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2015, 01:01:00 am »
I floor tiller just enough to get the limbs flexing and feeling like they are of equal strength.  My long string is just long enough to slip over the nocks.  Its like a bow with a zero brace height.  As long as things are looking good with it I keep shortening the string as I go until its braced.  The important thing is getting the limbs bending evenly and not stressing any portions of the bow by bending them to much or for to long.  I suggest trying both ways out and seeing what works best for you.  Just don't stay with the long string for to long.  You will end up with a 35# bow instead of a 50# bow.  I have made that mistake before.

Since I started paying more attention to the limb thickness taper tillering has gotten a lot easier for me.  Once I get a gradual and even taper its just a matter tweaking a few stiff spots and reducing weight.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline OTDEAN

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2015, 11:00:49 am »
I admit I am rubbish at making bows, but, the past four years tinkering with bow making has taught me that I can floor tiller almost anything to first brace by making sure the whole bow limb is bending correctly before even putting the string on.  I dont even need to use a long string now, by making sure the whole limb is bending just right using floor tiller before you even reach for a tiller string was my eureka moment between all the crap bows I made and now the semi-crap bows I can make!  :P 

Training your eye through practice to floor tiller, makes the difference between someone who gets lucky now and again with making a half decent bow and someone who can consistently make good shooters, deffo a skill worth cultivating if you take your bow making serious.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2015, 02:26:12 pm »
Lots of good info here. Thanks for posting this guy's! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!