Author Topic: sometimes...I love my job  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Josh B

sometimes...I love my job
« on: March 10, 2015, 11:19:54 am »
As an over the road truck driver that covers coast to coast and border to border, I get to see a lot of the hidden beauty that most folks never get to.  This pic was taken from the south side of the salt river canyon on US-60 in east central Az.  This really is a poor pic and doesn't show a fraction of the beauty of the canyon, but as you can imagine I had my hands full negotiation the switchbacks and 6% grade.  If you ever find yourself heading towards Phoenix from the east on I-40, I recommend jumping off the interstate at Holbrook on 77 south down to Show low and then West on US-60 to Phoenix.  From snowflake on is some of the most scenic route in the country.  I've driven that stretch dozens of times over the years and never get tired of it.  I have to admit that the road hugging peterbilts with big Caterpillar engines and 18 speed transmission  were a little more fun, but the Ken-a-bego does alright.  I would really love to run that stretch on my scooter some day.  Thanks for looking!  Josh

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: sometimes...I love my job
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 11:23:09 am »
Wow... now't like that in the UK  >:(
Cool
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 11:36:50 am »
The West of the US has sooooo many awe-inspiring vistas.  Josh, your occupation has many challenging aspects to it.  But being able to see such views throughout all the seasons of the year has gotta be one of the rewards of your job.

An even better way to see The West, imo, is from the seat of a bicycle @ 10 mph.  Ya come to understand what an insignificant speck we are. 
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 05:54:36 pm »
Cool pics Josh.   Drive safely and stay away from RR crossings. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 08:26:37 pm »
Must be nice not having shift and take pics instead driver  >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 08:30:14 pm »
Nice view Josh.  I bet another benefit of your job is access to supplies from all over the country.  Your truck might get a little better mileage without that  stash of staves on it  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 08:35:02 pm »
Not nearly as Purdy as that but I was down in se mn today and found a stave pile.. >:D

Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 08:05:43 am »
Ahhh(sigh).....canyon country. I miss it  :'(

No offense but that pic ain't doing it any justice  :P

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 12:00:26 pm »
Knoll, a lot of folks share your opinion of the best way to enjoy the west.  The bicyclists are everywhere when the weather is nice.   :)
Looks like the loggers are working hard Soy.  Hard Maple?
You're right about that Chris.  I don't think a picture could ever capture the beauty of that area. Especially when taken with an old cellphone through a dirty windshield of a moving truck.  Lol!
Del, I've seen a little of the UK.  You're not without natural beauty in your country by any means.  That being said, you're more than welcome to come back and see some more of ours anytime as far as I am concerned.
Pat...one RR crossing in particular anyway. >:D
Clint the mileage isn't so much a problem.  The sleeper does get a little close quartered at times though.
Thanks Fellas!  Josh

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 05:27:07 am »
Stay safe Driver ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.