Author Topic: What exactly is "set?"  (Read 7684 times)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Re: What exactly is "set?"
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2015, 11:30:30 am »
Sounds like you didnt go wrong. Every wood bow will loose its original profile after being bent, braced, drawn and shot.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2015, 11:35:20 am »
We cant possibly discuss low set tillering and monitored set while tillering if we cant differentiate set and string follow.

By the way, the whole reason I asked is because I backed the Black Locust bow I have been working on with rawhide, which turned out better than expected, considering it was my first time, rechecked the bow's tiller, etc., then proceeded to shoot the bow 50 times or so. All went well. After I unstrung the bow, I noticed a bit of "set" (at least what I thought was "set") in the upper limb, a limb that--many steps back--I had to heat treat because it was both badly twisted and bent. I am beginning to think that perhaps I heated it either too much or too many times. In any case, the bow shoots straight and snappy, and the tiller is the best tiller job for me to date. Plus, it has not blown up in my face...yet. I will shoot it another 50 times or so today, and if all goes well finish it off and call it good and on to the next bow.

Soooooo your saying I may not owe you another stave? Im glad its worked so far, had a good feeling it would.

Well, I still have another 1,950 shots to go. ;)
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2015, 12:39:43 pm »
boy, it has been a long winter!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.