Author Topic: Old Native arrow (cave find)  (Read 9027 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Old Native arrow (cave find)
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 12:36:19 pm »
Another nice find !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 01:50:38 pm »
Wow!  Very cool.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 02:57:06 pm »
Thanks for sharing!!  We (Lakota) have the same belief when we come across the same artifacts, in which we leave them alone.  The same goes if we take an artifact with the firm belief we will be riddled with hard luck because the artifact may be part of a burial.  It belongs where it lays and certainly not in any museum.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 08:13:38 pm »
I can only wish the worse of afflictions on the sorry pieces of work that make a career of pot hunting.

Thanks for sharing, that's some wonderful pot making skills there! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buck67

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 07:50:31 pm »
My Grandmother was an Inuit from Baffin Island.  In her culture, if a hunter was out and broke his gun and there was a good one on a burial mound, it was OK to leave the broken one and take the good one.  It was not OK to take a thing and not leave something of equal value.

I have always thought that the archeologists that are always digging should put the people back in their earth with replacements for anything taken.  That would mess up future diggers to find a 1,000 year old person with stainless steel bowls.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 10:06:31 pm »
In many cases, it seems likely that broken things left out in the open were just considered to be useless. Things arranged together, may well have been placed for some purpose. Just as today, an aluminum pop can in the ditch has no spiritual significance and can be picked up by anybody who wants it. But flowers and a cross placed together at the side  of a road obviously are meant to memorialize something.

No matter. Very nice to find things like those.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2015, 04:27:44 pm »
Very cool! Even though I dive the rivers here for artifacts and fossils, I have the utmost respect for your beliefs and how you treat your finds.
 Thanks for posting these pictures.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline beartail

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 10:32:24 am »
Absolutely awesome! I understand your view on takeing artifacts. its like kicking over someones headstone or something like that.it just don't feel right and you know its wrong.respect.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 01:04:19 pm »
That is a very rewarding find. My questions is this, why don't the critters chew that sinew off? You'd think pack rats or something like that would eat it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

mikekeswick

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 03:37:58 am »
What would be achieved by picking something up that never belonged to you and taking it to a museum....
Your beliefs and traditions should be all that governs what happens to finds like these. I respect you for not doing what a lot of people would have done.
Thank you for sharing the pictures with us.

Offline sleek

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2015, 01:30:18 am »
What would be accomplished by taking it to a museum? Im under the impression that museums are a great way to preserve artifacts and allow the public to view and appreciate it. As opposed to leaving it under a rock where it will eventually degrade, I would assume that it would be the logical thing to do. No criticism towards you for your sentiments on how you prefer it be handled. To each their own and thats fine.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 09:05:03 am »
It might sound counterintuitive to just leave it and let nature take its course but when you're brought up with your culture and language you learn to respect the fact that something like the pot or arrow is there for a reason. Perhaps as an offering or part of a burial. In any of the two examples, something like this holds no place in a museum. Besides museums are notorious for holding items that were taken from graves. Sad but true.

Offline sleek

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 10:00:35 am »
You shouldnt take things from graves.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others