Author Topic: Old Native arrow (cave find)  (Read 9026 times)

Offline RabidApache

Old Native arrow (cave find)
« on: March 20, 2015, 03:02:45 pm »
 I hunt all throughout my reservation. While out and about I'm always on a constant lookout for "old places" of habitation, campfire scars, stone working debris and trails. In my apache language "the people before" and even my ancestors. My beliefs teach me not to TAKE or disturb these places. Very sacred sites. So with the highest Respect and of course MY curiosity I have seen many places and tools. So on one of my hunts while hiking I discovered an overhang with smoke staining. Quick look around I find grooves in bedrock, and mortar within a small area. I look into a small crevice and spot this gem. I can't say for sure of the maker of the arrow but I suspect N'deh bi'kaa (Apache arrow) with the tail stained in red orchre. My guess at least a 100yrs old or more since the sinew is still wrapped on the arrow! The main shaft is Mulefat I believe with what looks like a Mtn Mahogany foreshaft. Enjoy.

I never took any measurements other than mentally.

Forever making arrows!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Old Native arrow (cave find)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 03:29:36 pm »
Very cool find.  8)   Good for you for respecting the sacred areas and artifacts.
Thanks for sharing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 03:49:57 pm »
OUTSTANDING.  If you think about it can you post other artifact finds when you find them. I really enjoy looking at this history.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 09:45:29 pm »
Wow, thanks for sharing this.  What a great find.  You just made my night.  I don't think I could ever get tired of looking at old artifacts.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 10:03:30 pm »
  VERY COOL
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 11:59:59 pm »
That must be quite a feeling discovering something like that. Thanks so much for posting the pictures. It's fascinating seeing finds like this.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 04:03:40 am »
Nice - great find ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 09:38:27 am »
Way cool !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 07:56:19 pm »
Awesome, you can feel the energy from the past...Thank you
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Halcon rojo

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 11:26:39 pm »
That is one of the coolest things. Thank you so much for posting it.
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 11:33:50 pm »
Fantastic Find!  :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 04:24:45 am »
I really like your way of thinking and talking about relics. If it remains dry, both wood and sinew can last very long.
Don't shoot!

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 05:12:12 pm »
Excellent self control. I don't think that anyone I know would have left it there.

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 05:52:10 pm »
I woulda took it, with lots of pics where it lay, then took it to a museum local.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 11:48:02 am »
-JEB Here's another cool find while out chasing a gobbler one year. Myself and brother were close to bagging his Tom but he just wouldn't come out in the clear. Well anyway, so I'm in the background trying to talk dirty to the ole'tom when I noticed a hollowed out rock. It blended in with all the other stones in a narrow gully with the "rock" covered in lichen. I walk over and then noticed it was pottery. Leaf liter was all around. I motioned my bro to come and check this out. We stood in awe and took pictures. Further investigation I notice the missing pieces trailing up the embankment under leaf liter. What you see here is what we "pieced" together. After our fill, we gathered the broken bits placed them in the still intact lower 2/3rds and cached it waaaaay back up where we thought it rolled down from. You can actually see the fresh "scratching" we did as we looked for the broken bits in the picture.
Funny thing I can remember, even while putting the puzzle back together the wise ole'tom was still gobbling less than 100yds. We had just forgot about the hunt at that point. Later we felt GOOD about the find and placing it outta site. We never did kill that particular bird.
To answer why we (myself and bro) do not take things like artifacts- I was taught as kid from my Pops and grandparents that these artifacts I discover is meant to remain out there where you find it. In my custom, these items may have been a burial site or a special place for people long ago. I respect that so no Bad Medicine or sickness will affect myself or others.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:52:43 am by RabidApache »
Forever making arrows!