Author Topic: Outdoor work station  (Read 5942 times)

Stringman

Outdoor work station
« on: March 23, 2015, 04:33:26 pm »
I've been planning to plant a post under the pines for some time. My buddy Dave came over Saturday and we went to it. Picked out a likely spot and started looking for China.

Cut a corner post and slipped 'er in the hole. We traded shovelin and tampin and that dog is stuck tight!

This vise base was too big for the log, so we dropped by my brother's shop and cut a plate to mount to the top of the post first.

Works great now! Now I'm really gonna get after them logs!

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Outdoor work station
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 05:21:49 pm »
Nice looking work station and great looking staves!
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 07:12:12 pm »
Great looking station Scott.  How deep did you set the post?  How many logs did you talk Dave into skinning?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 09:15:21 pm »
It's evry bit 3 foot deep, maybe a skitch more. Tamped in good and snug, it feels pretty stout while working off it. We busted another dozen staves off and made sure the belly splits were cleaned up and sealed before quitting. I ordered one of them grinder chain saw blades and plan to work the barked staves down with that.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 08:27:30 am »
Got to love that,very nice. I love working outdoors. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 08:52:38 am »
Hey Scott ole buddy ole pal!!!   ;D  ;D  ;D  Since it looks like your pros at it ya wanna come over my way and set a couple for me? I'll pay ya in gold  >:D   I've been meaning to do the same for the last 3 years now  ::)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 09:33:36 am »
And that folks is how you keep your shop much cleaner!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 09:34:39 am »
Very nice Scott, tell Dave I say hello.  Hope to see you both at mojam this year

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 12:30:42 pm »
Pappy, I took a page out of your book for this idea, so credit goes to you all!

Mr. Hawk, you gonna need a bucket full of the real gold to hire me to dig post holes all day! Done did too much of it as a kid to have any interest in earning wages at it.

You're right Pearly, this time next month there oughta be shavings a foot deep around that vise.

I will certainly tell him, Aaron. However, I'm gonna be missing MOJam this year. My wife had the gall to buy tickets to a Hawaiian cruise for those 2 weeks, and there's just no chance I'd trade one for the other.  >:D

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 12:45:04 pm »
Man, that looks perfect.  Good and sturdy and in the shade.  Tell Dave I said hey.  Is he coming to the Classic with you this year?
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Stringman

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 01:04:30 pm »
Wild horses couldn't keep him away! Shoot, he an his wife have been putting food ideas together for a month. Hope we got enough hungry mouths this time, cause we can't keep leftovers! any chance you are bringing your bowyers bench, Greg?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 01:16:25 pm »
Too cool.  What a great spot!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 02:11:24 pm »
Wild horses couldn't keep him away! Shoot, he an his wife have been putting food ideas together for a month. Hope we got enough hungry mouths this time, cause we can't keep leftovers! any chance you are bringing your bowyers bench, Greg?

I will do my best to help you with the leftover problem  ;D  I can guarantee you there won't be any extra bacon 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 04:47:30 pm »
I think that having your osage all viced up outside is the only way to go!  You are gonna like that Scott.  With my eyesight (which ain't bad till my glasses get covered up with sweat and sawdust) my best ring chasing is done with that yellow wood out in the sunshine.  It takes some planning to get it in the right spot where you can get a little sun to see by and some shade so you won't heat stroke.   It is nice when you can just rake all the bark and shavings right over into a fire too.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 07:23:27 am »
Scott, I will probably bring it if I have room in the truck.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN