Author Topic: Osage burl  (Read 3195 times)

Stringman

Osage burl
« on: March 30, 2015, 04:36:55 pm »
Workin up the large pile of logs in my yard and cut this off for kicks and giggles. I'm curious if any of you have dealt with them and have advise on the best way to prepare/season them for use. Im thinkin pen blanks and knife scales.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Osage burl
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 05:47:10 pm »
Never done Osage but oak/ maple I just seal really good a
Nd put it in a dry place for a long while the ones I tried cutting in slices all checked really bad still got some but lost a lot , nice find Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 06:26:02 pm »
with smaller pieces, I put them in  a brown paper bag with shavings and store in a dark cool place . . . .

I also know guys who soak them for days in dna before storing.

crapshoot when they are that big. 

Nice find.  Usually better looking then you think, once you open it up. 

Good Luck

Russ

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:11:31 pm »
I love burl wood for handle and tip overlays, I slice them about an inch thick to dry, never had a checking problem with a burl.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 10:17:05 pm »
Nice burl Scott.  The small one I cut a few weeks ago checked pretty quick.  I sealed the snot out of it after I saw the first crack.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bronco611

• God ,country ,family, flintknapping
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 11:24:51 pm »
What is DNA or what exactly do you  seal the burl with? I know this is a rookie question but then again everyone was a rookie at one time or another. :o :D I think it is denatured alcohol ? How do you stabilize knife scales?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 11:39:15 pm by bronco611 »
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 01:51:34 am »

I think "DNA" is denatured alcohol.  Just a guess.  I see a nice bowl! ;)  Seal it, and let dry for a year, or so.

Wayne

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 07:27:12 am »
You stabilize it with acrylic resin in a pressurized chamber.  I've seen it done with food vacuums. You may not need to stabilize though. If its full of voids when you cut it it should be stabilized.  Thats a great find I think it's pretty fair to find an osage burl. Great fine. Good luck with it.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 09:15:38 am »
Thanks for the comments. I have sealed it and set it in the workshop for now. Hopefully I can ignore it for 5 years and when I finally come back to it, it's ready to work.

Offline Zedd

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 01:41:31 pm »
They also make great wood spacers for fly rod reel seats. They are my preferred wood. I soak fresh cut in Daly's Ship n' Shore Wood Conditioner for about a week and then let it set. This takes about 4 months. I have not had a problem with splitting (yet, knock on wood).