Author Topic: Tri-lam final update ( Finished and doomed...)  (Read 7674 times)

Offline Johnny K

Tri-lam final update ( Finished and doomed...)
« on: March 31, 2015, 08:19:13 pm »
Final pics on page two

Hi everyone,

I had finally got my tri-lam pyramid bow to where I thought I should begin tillering... However, after putting it on the tillering stand and slowly pulling it to just over brace height, the scale already reads 80#.

Is there some rule of thumb, or does someone have a guess how much wood I still need to take off to achieve a final draw weight of somewhere between 70-85# at 28"?

Also any tiller suggestions? I'm tillering this type of bow for the first time and am probably overlooking something... The way the tiller is now, can I safely draw the bow somewhat farther?

Thanks,
John
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 05:30:27 pm by Johnny K »
If this bow breaks, I'll build another. If it doesn't............. I'll still build another.

blackhawk

Re: Tri-lam Tiller/draw weight questions...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 09:06:47 pm »
Are you saying its 80 pounds with where its sitting at on the long string in your pic? Or its braced and is pulling 80 pounds a few inches past that?

If the former then its gonna be close to 80 pounds once braced and pulled to the mark your long string is at in your pic. Reason why is because the string angles will be similar. Your long string is too long. It should be just long enough to where it pretty much touches the handle.

Next... outer half of right limb is stiff...even that out then brace it n see what ya got then. Your prob getting close to your desired weight.

Offline Johnny K

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 09:48:28 pm »
Thanks for the reply,

I measured the 80# on the long string, I just hooked my scale to the string and drew it to where you see it in the picture, and the scale read 80#. So you're saying my final draw weight will probably be around the same once I actually string the bow and draw it to 28"?

I'll shorten my tillering string to brace height next time I put it on. Can't work on it now, storming outside...  :(

John
If this bow breaks, I'll build another. If it doesn't............. I'll still build another.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 10:17:28 pm »
  What are the demensions of that bow, what is the belly lam made of, how wide is it?

Offline Johnny K

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 10:37:06 pm »
Hi,

Here are the specs...

Length:
72" tip to tip

Width:
1.5" at the fades
1/2" at the tips

Handle, including fades:
9" non-bending

The belly lam is oak, the core purple-heart, backing maple.

The current thickness goes from 13/16" near the fades to 1/2" at the tips.

John

Offline Johnny K

Re: Tri-lam Tiller update
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 06:24:52 pm »
I was finally able to work on the bow again...

I shortened my tillering string to brace height, and have worked my way up to full draw (as in the picture). Draw weight 75#.

Any advice for final tillering, or is it "good enough"?

Thanks,
John

blackhawk

Re: Tri-lam Tiller advice? update
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 08:23:17 pm »
Looks OK from here....how's it look in the hand...how's it shoot? And get some real bow string ;)

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 09:09:59 pm »
75#... now that's my kinda horse right there. ..

Nice bow
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline Johnny K

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 09:12:29 pm »
Hi Blackhawk,

Thanks for the reply. This is how it looks in the hand, I haven't put any arrows through it, this nylon rope is way to thick. :) As for a real string, it's already custom ordered, and should be ready for pick-up in a couple of days... can't wait...

John

Offline Johnny K

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 09:14:18 pm »
75#... now that's my kinda horse right there. ..

Nice bow

Thanks! I hope it'l do some hunting this fall, I think the draw weight is perfect for that.

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 10:07:02 pm »
Fwiw... of i can twist a string you'll have no problem
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 11:22:17 pm »
Tiller looks good from here. Zip a couple arra's thru it before finishing just in case ya gotta do some adjusting. Check the build alongs for string making, real easy and something ya wanna learn. Pm me if ya need a string, no charge.😉
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 12:40:27 am »
Check the build alongs for string making, real easy and something ya wanna learn. Pm me if ya need a string, no charge.😉
:thumbsup:
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Johnny K

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 11:50:47 am »
Thanks stixnstones,

That's a real friendly offer, and I would definitely have accepted it if I hadn't already ordered a string. But thanks anyway!

The reason why I'm not making my own strings is not that I'm scared of the process, it's more the apparent cost of getting started. Most places only sell a 1/4 pound spool of fast-flight of D97, and here in Canada they always seem to be more expensive... I can get 1/4 pound of fast-flight ordered for me by a place in Edmonton at $79.95 per roll. That means that, If I want to start making my own strings, perhaps 2 coloured Flemish twists, I'll have to buy material for perhaps 60 strings, and spend about $160.00 without serving material... That's why I'm hesitant...

Anyway,
Thanks again,
John

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 11:53:26 am »
U don't flemish twist fast flight as far as I know. And u can get rolls of b50 for like 5 bux at 3 rivers. Also if u don't have horn or phenolic overlays fast flight is bad
Nothing ventured nothing gained