Author Topic: Arrow Insert for Strength  (Read 1413 times)

Offline E. Jensen

Arrow Insert for Strength
« on: April 21, 2015, 01:51:40 pm »
The forest here in Northern Arizona is very rocky, and the archery range is  no exception.  I've been losing most of my arrows to broken tips.  I was brainstorming ideas to give it more strength, short of using a thicker arrow.  I'm building a new dozen soon and wanted to try something, anything.  I got the idea to maybe drill a 1/8" x 2-3" hole in the front and put a rod of some sort in there.  I was thinking bamboo.  What do you guys think?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrow Insert for Strength
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 02:23:48 pm »
The arrow on the left has a metal strip inserted in the point end of the shaft by way of a slot cut in the end and secured with glue and sinew wraps. It should work on any doweled shafting or hardwood shoot arrows. The forward end of the insert was pre-shaped to a point then the shaft was shaped after the metal was inserted and secured.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 05:33:08 pm »
Use Tonkin for arrows. Darn tough.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 11:39:38 pm »
 The point on the right is for cane arrows. It is a 16d common nail with a glob of brass brazed to the head and shaped into a cone. A full nail with the brass cone weighs about 125gr. You can reduce that weight by trimming the nail shank.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 06:34:18 am »
I foot the inside of bamboo with bamboo skewers found at the $ store. I use titebond III for glue.  There are not many arrow types out there that will win in a fight with rocks. 

I watched the guys with 80# bows shoot 1/2" diamtere arrows into  1/4"plate steel at the Marshall Michigan shoot every year and the arrows do not break.  That tells me a larger diameter arrow may work.