Author Topic: unusual looking osage in progress  (Read 23356 times)

Offline Badly Bent

unusual looking osage in progress
« on: May 07, 2015, 09:38:01 pm »
About a year or so ago paulsemp gave me a 3' dia. piece of osage. Started on a bow out of it this week and thought I would leave one ring of sapwood intact on the back but as I chased it down to that last sapwood ring I found this. Seems heart and sap weave in and out of this one ring, sapwood turning to heart or just some strange melding of the two. The back is clean with a ring chased and not violated and I have the bow pulling to 19' now. Hope to get it pulling to full draw and shooting this weekend. Thought you some of you guys might like seeing this as I've never run into this before.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Badly Bent

Re: unusual looking osage in progress
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 09:38:43 pm »
one more

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 09:45:36 pm »
Man!!  That looks awesome!  I have never seen that.  Sort of looks like the Butterscotch/vanilla fudge sickles that my Mom used to make us kids when I was little!  Too cool!  Josh

Offline RyanR

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 09:53:09 pm »
That looks pretty cool Greg. I hope it turns out. I would like to see that in person at Marshall.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 10:08:44 pm »
That thing is looking pretty darn cool Greg.  Almost looks like sap turning to heart.  Was it standing dead or live?  Can't wait to see it finished

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 10:10:47 pm »
  Thats cool!  I have had a small amount with blotches of sap wood but never the swirls you have. Should be a beauty after it seasons a bit. One of my first stave bows I built was possibley a black locust I will never know but had dark chocalate heartwood mixed with snow white sapwood. I ruined the bow but kept it as a wall hanger as it was really beautiful.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 10:19:30 pm »
Like Josh I thought of the orange cream sickle! Can't say I've ever seen that Greg. Wouldn't think it would cause any problems on the back. Can't wait to see it finished.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline rps3

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 10:25:42 pm »
Unique for sure. Cant wait to see it finished up.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 10:39:22 pm »
As soon as I read Doc's reply I had to go to the kitchen and fix meself a banana split. ;D
I'll bring it to Marshall Ryan, may even wait till then to finish tillering it to get some input from the gang before I get a hinge worked into it.
Matt, Paul cuts and uses standing dead wood but this wasn't one of those, it was cut by him in feb. 2013
and stood in my shop the past year until I removed the bark last week.
Badger, I hope I get a bow out of this one and don't end up with a wall hanger, the look of it is really striking when seen in person.
Tracy, I don't think the back will be a problem. Have it braced and drawing around 45# at 19-20" now, just got to get it to my 25" draw with good tiller.

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 10:51:20 pm »
Awesome... To me it kinda looks like long flowing campfire flames burning up the limbs.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline okie64

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 11:00:48 pm »
Now that is gonna be a real looker Greg! Cant wait to see it all prettied up.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 11:04:45 pm »
Another stave i should of never gave away :'(  Just kidding, glad you found that in there. I would of rip right threw down to gold and never found that. Hope it works out for ya. Wife is gone over night tomorrow, got anything going? I plan on getting ready for Marshall

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 11:17:20 pm »
Wow, that is going to be one great looking bow.  Good luck with it.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 11:21:12 pm »
It look like that osage's momma got down with a hornbeam. It definitely reminds me of the way an american HB/blue beech back looks.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:38:20 pm by Dakota Kid »
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 11:35:15 pm »
Wonder if that was cut just as the next layer of sapwood was making the transformation to yellow?  That's a super cool looking piece of wood.