Author Topic: ornamental yew  (Read 2370 times)

Offline dylanholderman

ornamental yew
« on: May 10, 2015, 11:05:36 pm »
the bushes at my house

the bush at my cousins house(there are two this size)

and the stave i got from said bush

and i could very well be getting more 8) her and her husband want to put in a fence to stop there three year old from running into the street and the bushes will have to go for that to happen, i volunteered to help cut them down and haul off the wood >:D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: ornamental yew
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 11:47:24 pm »
That'll be a good stash. I cut a similar stave a few years ago on a landscaping job but haven't done anything with it yet. Looking forward to seeing what you make, Dylan.
 Enjoyed meeting you at the classic. I was impressed with your bow building.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 08:47:32 am »
Yeah..that stuff will work....just don't abuse it like ya did that osage ya worked on in Tennessee and hold it at full draw/near full draw on the tillering board for ten+ seconds. ;) in fact don't do that to any wood. The lighter density ornamental yew won't like that,n will wanna take more set than ya like,n more than it should.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 08:06:46 pm »
That'll be a good stash. I cut a similar stave a few years ago on a landscaping job but haven't done anything with it yet. Looking forward to seeing what you make, Dylan.
 Enjoyed meeting you at the classic. I was impressed with your bow building.  8)
thanks pat, part of what made the classic so fun for me was all of you more experienced guys there looking over my shoulder :) really gave me some confidence with a wood i hadn't used before.

Yeah..that stuff will work....just don't abuse it like ya did that osage ya worked on in Tennessee and hold it at full draw/near full draw on the tillering board for ten+ seconds. ;) in fact don't do that to any wood. The lighter density ornamental yew won't like that,n will wanna take more set than ya like,n more than it should.
note taken ;) its things like this that i struggle learning on my own. i mean i know that i have read not to hold a bow at full draw for very long while tillering, but its one thing to read something like that in a how to and another thing to have someone tell it to you directly.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 08:25:41 pm »
I enjoyed watching you make that bow at the classic too!   :)

Mark Daniel
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 11:17:17 pm »
thanks mark ;D i'm going to put a leather grip on it and some kind of arrow pass maybe a wire wrap 8)