Author Topic: New bow shop help please.  (Read 6006 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: New bow shop help please.
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2015, 07:58:50 pm »
I don't have a bathroom in my shop but one of the criteria for my move out of town was to be in a place I could water the lawn without offending anyone, and I can.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 08:48:01 pm »
I like to work outside when i can.  I prefer natural light for ring chasing and fresh air agrees with me.  My shop has an indoor area and an outdoor area under a tin roof.  I spend more time in the outdoor area.  Your climate may be a lot different than mine.  Electrical outlets, ventilation, lighting, heating, air conditioning, plumbing....  you can go through that 3000 bucks really quick without a plan.  I would think about what kind of bows you will be building, and where your interests are and get what you really need out of the way first.  For me, I gravitate toward hand tools more and more, so a solid post in the ground, a good vice, a solid work bench, a few tools, good lighting, and ventilation would be priority.  Post some pics as you get your project off the ground.  I think everyone on here could benefit from a good healthy discussion of what makes a perfect bow shop.     
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 09:29:43 am »
I spent a lot of years working outside but as a tool guy I needed a nice place to house all my toys. My shop is a multi purpose shop, bow making is primary, followed by flintlock gun building, general repair of just about anything that breaks around the house or in the field (tractors, lawn mowers and such) and even welding.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 05:40:54 pm »
Thinking about a portable carport on top of a good sturdy floor. With a small door in back a double doors in front. It will all be closed in of course. The carport is 18x 21
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 09:46:03 pm by Scottski »
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 12:20:26 am »
Well this discussion is just in time for me to. I'm fixing to start my own shop as soon as this rain let's up.

I acquired several large skids from my work. When I say large I mean huge!  My floor will be store bought but the walls, loft, and "outdoor area"  will pretty much be skids. I found a used role up door from overhead door company. A 36in steel door, 3 windows, ac/heat and almost all of my nails and Joist hangers are from habitat for humanity re store.  My shop/shed will be a 16x22 gamble style with a loft over 2/3rds of it. It should only coast right at 12 to 1500 dollars. To build, not counting all the cases of beer and favors I will owe my friends. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline DLH

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 11:56:16 pm »
I'll be watching this closely hopefully start to build a 25x40 next year but may wait to build something bigger for some larger tools. I have been thinking
Of some kind of pulley system to pull staves up overhead to maximize storage. A bed would be nice too for those times the wife gets angry ;D

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 07:24:45 am »
If you are going to be storing staves in an attic or overhead anywhere, be sure there is good ventilation.  Attics can get very hot in the summer, which could potentially ruin your staves

Offline Scottski

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 05:57:21 pm »
I still don't know if a carport or building it my self would be cheaper? My family said building it ourselfs. Neighbors and some friends saw carport idea is a better way. I just don't know I need more opinions.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2015, 05:54:44 am »
Don't forget - Ya gotta have a good work/Bow-shop dog. My old shop had a Lab/Springer (Springador) mix, that ate more Yellow wood - I was always amazed that She never had any internal problems or crap yellow  :laugh:! When the bandsaw was running, She would have Her face stuck right in the dust chute waiting for a chunk to fall and chew into pieces. Never had a Flea problem either, with all the Osage dust She carried around. By the way, Her Name was Chamookman - made it thirteen Years eating all that yellow wood. RIP Old Girl. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline okie64

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 08:21:01 am »
Just as a general rule, materials to build a shop will cost you between 14-18 dollars a square foot. Double that for labor if you have someone else build it for you. That price is for wood framed walls, vinyl siding, one garage door, a walk door and a standard pitch roof. Pole barn style with metal siding usually runs about $15 material and labor.