Author Topic: Javie hunting  (Read 7110 times)

Offline Key

Javie hunting
« on: February 04, 2008, 09:15:00 am »
Hey everyone,
Well it is time for us Iowa boys to head to Texas for our yearly week of hunting. This year we are going after javies and we leave on Feb. 15th.
Sure like to hear from any experienced javie hunters with there advise.
Roger

Offline Little John

Re: Javie hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 04:49:11 pm »
No javie experience here, but where in Texas are you going? Sounds like fun.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Key

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 09:24:24 pm »
John,
We will be hunting on a 30,000 acer Ranch south of Ft. Stockton
Roger

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 10:00:23 pm »
Man oh Man, I am jelous, and sick and tired of this snow and cold. Does the javalina season run this long or they non protected ? Is this a pay to hunt deal or do  you know the landowner? Are ferral hogs also on the menu? I am intrested in a Texas hunt and apreciate any info.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Key

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 11:43:26 pm »
John... I sent you an email.
Roger

Offline Key

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 12:44:50 am »
Well, we  had a great five days of hunting in the Texas sun. Even though we only killed two javies everyone had a good time. Here is a picture of on that my buddy Mike killed. We took the back straps and hams from each javie and now looking forward to trying them for the first time during one of our informal shoots we  have.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Roger

Offline Key

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 12:51:37 am »
For us Iowa boys seeing the Armos is a real treat. We saw several each day we were out. Of course we just took pictures of them.

Roger

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 01:15:25 am »
 Thats great ! And "armoredgorillas ta boot ! "Possum on a half shell !" Yummy ! ;D.........bob

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 01:46:43 am »
What is that critter ? an armored Opossum... ;) would make a cool hat...
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 02:42:55 am »
Well, we  had a great five days of hunting in the Texas sun. Even though we only killed two javies everyone had a good time. Here is a picture of on that my buddy Mike killed. We took the back straps and hams from each javie and now looking forward to trying them for the first time during one of our informal shoots we  have.

I dont mean to be obtuse or critical, but are you saying you did not use the who Javie and if so, why not.  If not think about taking taking the whole carcase and trading the leavings.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline Key

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 08:25:17 am »
Wolf, good advise but it was hot and we were in a hurry to get the meat to a cool place back at the bunk  house.

This is a picture of the terrain on the Ranch. Spot and stalk was fun but a real challenge.

Roger

Offline Postman

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 12:21:56 pm »
great pics! Good song too.... How did that song end?  wasn't it "one little kiss, jav-fel-ina, good by...."
couldn't resist.....
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Postman

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 12:28:50 pm »
Whoops-posted that  in the wrong javie hunt post......nice pics - especially the panoramic view - would love to hunt there someday.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA