Author Topic: Going to form a new annual archery shoot  (Read 10794 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: Going to form a new annual archery shoot
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 11:12:08 am »
I've kicked the idea around a few times, but decided that there's no way that i can pull it off at this stage of my life.  Not only that, but traditional archers are few and far between in my area.  Primitive archers are as rare as hens teeth.  One of the things I found in my exploration of the idea is that the 3d targets alone are a huge investment.  I've also been told that its a good idea to start a club and lease the ground to the club.  The club insures the range and protects you from liability.  I would think getting those two things accomplished and preparing the range and campgrounds is gonna be a handful to accomplish in just over a year.  I would cover the basics first and slowly increase the amenities over time.  Again, I've never done this, so take my input with a grain of salt.  How far from Nowata is the property?  It's been a while since I rolled through there, but I remember there being a few convenience stores and a bigger grocery store.  If it's not too far to town, that will help.  Even though Nowata is a little further from me than OJAM, it would be easier for me to attend due to the proposed timing of your event.  I really hope you can pull it off.  Josh

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 12:45:15 pm »
And its only an hour from craig ratzats place  who is usually at Flint ridge the week before Labor day.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 01:47:03 pm »
I've never been to Oklahoma, but this sounds like a good reason to go. If you start it off I will make the trip. I'm WAY closer than Del so might as well plan to go. I figure, the more we support this sort of thing the more opportunity we have to "pass it along".

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 10:25:49 pm »
Just remember, I can be your repair man. We will just have to pay for parts. Maybe a cheap larger chest freezer. And then we can bag up some of the ice so you don't have to have a huge machine. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline JEB

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 06:58:37 am »
You set your goals pretty high with many great ideas.  I am on my 4th year with putting on a memorial archery shoot to honor my dad at my place.  Targets are going to be one of your biggest expense. Good ones are really expensive but they last a lot longer that the cheaper ones. I have a backhoe that made life a lot easier for those larger tasks with target area placement clean up and sand bunkers.  The sand bunkers were a luxury but it moves things along when kids shoot. 

Insurance is going to be another annual expense.

Have fun with your new adventure.  After 4 years and lots of help we have our shoot just about down pat.

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2015, 11:12:47 am »
Insurance I am certainly going to be researching.  Targets, im going to spend my tax refund on them. Not gonna lie though, some may wind up as hay bails with burlap style targets over it and a deer painted on. I will be searching online for used ones, and talk to the Oklahoma self bow society who hosts ojam and see if they can help too. An established club like that could sure help out.

Edit: Forgot to add, I measured just under 4 miles from my buddies land to the homeland grocery and a gas station. Town aint far, however the town also aint big lol... but that makes things nice also.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JEB

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2015, 11:43:37 am »
Our archery club which has been around for over 50 years still shoots at hanging cardboard targets in front of a sand bank for their 3 D course for their outdoor hunting league.  Sometimes they paint the targets which looks nice.

I have also bought 3 D targets off of craigslist and at yard sales.  To toss a little fun into the shoot I have a 3 D moose, 100 yard shot and a 3 D buffalo that is a 50 yard shot.  keep in mind we do not score.  We shoot just for fun.

This year I am having a coon shoot at night.  I will be using hanging cardboard targets and will put them on the backside of the existing sand bunkers that I use with the 3 d targets. Kind of a double use for the bunkers. We also have a 21 arrow salute to honor my dad an others that have died over the year.

This will also be an issue: HELP. I am lucky to have 6 grandkids that live on the property.

Offline sleek

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2015, 12:15:19 pm »
Help.... yeah its just my buddy and I. We both have wives and I have a 9 year old who will be put to work. But all it will take is time. Time exists,  just gadda use it.

Btw just clocked it, 21 miles from bartlesville to the grounds. So walmart aint to far.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 08:34:16 am »
Insurance for us is about $800.00 a year. Ice machine, [we just bought 3 years a go by the way] was $3,500.00.[500 lbs a day] you think that is a lot but it's only 50 bags and can go quick with a large crowd camping. Nice to have but not a must have to start with. Targets, well you can spend ever how much you want. We are buying 70 Rineharts this year, don't even want to tell you what the cost of  that is or you may change your mind,but sometimes at the IBO shoots you can buy a set of 20 after the event is over for a very good price, like half or more off.[check their web site for events in your area] We have done that 3 times but decided this year to just keep them all. You have got some good ideas but like I and others have said you have to start small and build as you go. It just cost to much to do it all at one time. We also Incorporated the club and set it up as non profit, so no tax returns to fill out, just keep good records and no 1 member can profit from what the club does, that helps protect the land owner, which in our case id me. :) Everyone wants to start out big but believe me it is better if it starts small and you can add and grow as the numbers do. lots of growing pains.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 11:01:28 am »
Insurance for us is about $800.00 a year. Ice machine, [we just bought 3 years a go by the way] was $3,500.00.[500 lbs a day] you think that is a lot but it's only 50 bags and can go quick with a large crowd camping. Nice to have but not a must have to start with. Targets, well you can spend ever how much you want. We are buying 70 Rineharts this year, don't even want to tell you what the cost of  that is or you may change your mind,but sometimes at the IBO shoots you can buy a set of 20 after the event is over for a very good price, like half or more off.[check their web site for events in your area] We have done that 3 times but decided this year to just keep them all. You have got some good ideas but like I and others have said you have to start small and build as you go. It just cost to much to do it all at one time. We also Incorporated the club and set it up as non profit, so no tax returns to fill out, just keep good records and no 1 member can profit from what the club does, that helps protect the land owner, which in our case id me. :) Everyone wants to start out big but believe me it is better if it starts small and you can add and grow as the numbers do. lots of growing pains.
   Pappy

Insurance: Talk to MANY insurance agents in your area and even research online as well.  Bargains can be found, but not easily.  If you can pull it off with no claims for several years, ASK the carrier to review your policy.  Our non-profit got a major discount after 3 yrs of no claims (especially when we explained to the carrier that we had given 330 public appearances to over 30,000 people in that time without so much as a hitch. They quickly realized we knew what we were doing)

501(c)3 Non-profit status is not impossible.  In fact, seeing how you have not collected or spent the first dollar, it will never be easier than it is right now.  Once you have been in existence and have handled money, it becomes exponentially more difficult as you have to dredge up records and everything better balance out to the penny!!! Pappy mentioned incorporating, too.  THAT is the single most important thing you can do.  It ain't all that hard either.  But it will save your butt in case of some legal trainwreck.  You need that firewall to protect yourself and your family from someone out for blood.  It is not a "get out of court free" card. The firewall between you and financial ruin is thinner than a wet tissue IF you diddle the books to financially benefit yourself or otherwise use the organization for your own purposes. 

Our non-profit benefitted from a small business incubator on the campus of a local college.  It exists to help small businesses get started, but it also helps non-profits and other organizations with paperwork, pointers on organization, legalities, etc.  Contact your state's department of revenue, or state's attorney office for directions.  Good chance you have something similar down your way and they don't charge for their services! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 08:32:17 pm »
Much much appreciated thoughts above.

Offline country

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2015, 12:15:45 am »
Sounds great .. only 4  hours away ... i can follow doc down there  :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2015, 05:08:56 am »
Like JW said ,you need to get all the financial and legal part figured out and done first thing, we did it when we started the club.  :) The insurances folks come down every few years to check things out, you need to be sure you have good signage to warn folks about any dangers/first aid kits here and there and fire extinguisher at the place designated, if it looks good and organized [neat and orderly when the show up you will have a better chance of getting a deal and keeping it as time move on. So far knock on wood we have had no clams in 25 years. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2015, 11:56:31 am »
we have had no clams in 25 years. :)
 Pappy
After his 1st "stroll" up the hill, one of my camping partners was seriously considering submitin' a claim!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 03:11:45 pm »
we have had no clams in 25 years. :)
 Pappy
After his 1st "stroll" up the hill, one of my camping partners was seriously considering submitin' a claim!

I think I was strolling with him, Mike.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!