Author Topic: Elm Hall 2015  (Read 37160 times)

Offline Rocky

Re: Elm Hall 2015
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2015, 01:39:59 pm »
Way to go Beau! The earlier the better. I do have to work 1/2 day on Wednesday, and it is the first half of the day, so it can be too late of an evening for me but I'm looking forward to your arrival Mark.

Rocky

Offline Forest_Farmer

• The best things in life are not things,,,,,,!
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2015, 05:53:13 pm »
Tony,
It sounds like you're one of the primitive fire guys to watch, I'm looking forward to learning from ya.  I haven't tried making a bow drill fire sense I was a kid and had the same results as Chris, lots of smoke but never an ember.
What day you planning to get there, and are you still thinking about bringing any hides to tan?  I was going to get a couple soaking this weekend.
Ed
When I stop learning please put me in a box!

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2015, 09:37:22 pm »
On fire stuff: I too struggled for a long time only getting smoke and getting a terrible squealing noise. But it really comes down to technique and stamina. Materials are important too -- but only to a point. I've made coals with a bowdrill kit that was made from maple (albeit only a few!). With the right technique and practice, knowing what to feel and how to change what you're doing, I'm sure any one of you can do it. And with the right kit it becomes almost easy!

I just practised with the hand drill for the first time in a couple years probably. No coal, but I think it was pretty close!

I will bring some materials (not much).

Ed, I'll probably bring a hide or two. I have one that needs re-softening, so I might just bring that one since I could do that in a couple hours.

I hate to say it, and you guys are going to hate me for this, but I think the bow I'm going to shoot most with is a glasser. :X Truth is, since last fall I haven't even finished a bow, truly. I've started many, but haven't made any that I'm truly happy with. The one I was working on at Marshall ended up fretting (I'll bring it anyways), and after that I picked one up from my corner of shame and got it to the point where it just needs to be shot in, but it's <40#. The board bow I have been shooting for the past year+ -- I'll bring it, but it too is starting to fret after heavy use. I have two that could do well with touch-ups. We'll see. I shoot the glass bow well though, and it's what I've been shooting so not adjustments needed.

Life has a way of getting in the way. I might start one this week, but it definitely won't be finished by Friday. I guess I'll have to bring a stave or two (and/or see what I can score down there), and maybe bust my ass over the weekend. Will depend on whether I'm feeling more like work or play though. /shrug

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2015, 12:54:37 am »
Tony count me in on the bow drill demo I've always been curious.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2015, 04:15:46 am »
3 more days and counting down, headed that way Monday, packing Saturday,see yall soon. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2015, 06:29:58 am »
Watch your speed through town pappy, be sure your seat belt is on to. :) 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2015, 07:21:29 am »
Watch your speed through town pappy, be sure your seat belt is on to. :)

Pfhahahahahaha!!!!!   I remember that prank...lol  :laugh:  :laugh:

One more week boys n gals

Offline Forest_Farmer

• The best things in life are not things,,,,,,!
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2015, 09:04:02 am »
Less than a week for me now.  The "Elm Hall Brew" is kegged and I'll be bottling up a case for the raffle. 
Just need to make a trip the REI to repuchase some camping gear.  Someone broke into my car a couple of weeks ago and figured they needed my stuff more than I did. Luckily everything was covered by insurance and everything can be replaced.

See you all soon,
Ed
When I stop learning please put me in a box!

owlbait

« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2015, 09:23:25 am »
New arrows are ready! Looking forward to next Saturday.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2015, 08:03:31 pm »
That's good and bad Ed.

We laid out courses today. One is 23 and the other 24 targets. As usual, there will be some challenging shots and arrows will be lost/broken.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2015, 10:55:48 pm »
We just got home from long weekend on Black River ... camping, fishing, floating, imbibing, sweating.  If the body battery can recharge, will be heading north Tue or Wed.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2015, 08:19:06 pm »
'm really getting jealouse of you mike.  I want to spent some time with the northern guys too!  I wish I could make it but I took a week for mojam and Im taking a week for elk hunting so no more time off .for me this year.   Next year thhoug I promise to go if a few of you all make it down to mojam
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2015, 01:58:52 am »
Headed North in a few hours. See yall there . Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2015, 08:33:29 am »
Dropped the "Tin Tepee" off yesterday afternoon.  Had a nice visit with Rocky and even got to shoot my Glock for a bit.  The Wicki's will be there Wednesday after work.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2015, 01:21:05 pm »
Weather is looking a bit warm, but no rain until maybe Sunday afternoon. Skeeters were very tolerable Saturday when we laid out the courses.

Another successful shoot coming right up!