Author Topic: avoiding walmart  (Read 9711 times)

Offline sleek

avoiding walmart
« on: June 13, 2015, 04:47:34 pm »
It been months since I have been to one, for reasons we cant discuss on this site, but man, it gets hard sometimes.  I find myself spending a lot more than I would otherwise to get things if I just went to walmart. So, for those who also dont shop there, what do yall do to reduce how much you spend and find deals?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: avoiding walmart
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 08:14:52 pm »
Hey, you weren't one of those in the videos that were asked to not come back, were you? ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 08:59:37 pm »
I don't like shopping at Walmart either. Not for any other reason than terrible customer service. What types of items are you looking for?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JEB

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 09:13:23 pm »
In Michigan we have a store called Meijers. Same as Walmart only bigger.  Prices are about the same but the help is much friendlier.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 11:15:12 pm »
For me,, Walmart, Sucks. I never go there except for a last resort. I really think they scammed the working class people of the world. They started out selling and advertising, "Made in America". Real, Bold letters, flags, the whole nine yards. They put a lot of Mom and Pop Hardware and specialty stores in small towns out of business, that were selling good, quality merchandise with there prices.
 Now it's Made in China and junk, plus, PPS.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 04:21:06 am »
Have NEVER set a foot in a Wall Mart, and never will ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 03:09:27 pm »
In the winter months my wife and I travel to the SW and we pull the truck and trailer into the Walmart parking lots for our over night stay.  People watching in a Walmart  parking lot is like going to a movie with out paying for the show.

I know a lot of folks don't like the place but if they closed every store in the U.S. can you imagine the increase in un-employment would be.  They are the largest retail employer in the U.S.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 03:31:17 pm »
the only reason why so many people work for Walmart is because walmart put their prior place of employment out of business. the days of mom and pop stores are gone. in my house we make a very honest effort at keeping our shopping local as possible. but unfortunately every strip mall has the same 10 stores in it and most the time you are forced to buy stuff from big box stores. it's very sad that most of these big stores have such poor wages and poor insurance that most of the full time workers there cannot support their family and are still on government subsidized money. meanwhile the government gives huge tax breaks to the stores. anyway I'll stop there because this is getting very close to breaking the rules of this forum. and for the record No we do not shop at Walmart unless we are absolutely forced to

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 03:43:29 pm »
It really is amazing how like minded we all are and we never really discuss it because of forum rules. Its good to know im in good  company...

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 10:06:34 pm »
Not sure what to tell you other than asking if you can do with out the item or not and are you willing to pay a little more. I'll pay more or do with out!

Sleek, try having a Christmas only gift exchange WITHOUT the label made in China if you solve the Wally World problem :D  We  did it but it was tough with kids and toys.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 11:29:44 pm »
I love wally world, who doesn't like standing in a line 15 deep with only two of the registers open out of twenty ::)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline silverfox

• Ohio Subscription #108669
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 12:45:06 am »
For me,, Walmart, Sucks. I never go there except for a last resort. I really think they scammed the working class people of the world. They started out selling and advertising, "Made in America". Real, Bold letters, flags, the whole nine yards. They put a lot of Mom and Pop Hardware and specialty stores in small towns out of business, that were selling good, quality merchandise with there prices.
 Now it's Made in China and junk, plus, PPS.

It can't be said any better than that.
New to all of this primitive stuff. Just taking it all in, and learning every time I come here.

Subscription # 108669

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 12:57:27 am »
I make everything I possibly can.  If I can make it, I look for a "vintage" one. I'm not one for luxury items. I'd rather fix up an old tool or appliance than buy plastic junk with paper play money anyway. The currency is worth as much as the stuff they let us buy with it.

George Carlin once said, "These people are buying things they don't need with money they don't have. All Americans are really good at anymore is buying things." 

Ahh.. the eventual and unavoidable end game of a capitalist system. It eats itself like a serpent swallowing it's tail. Get ready y'all there's a storm a comin'.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline JEB

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 08:32:27 am »
Just look at what you are wearing right now.  I would be willing to bet you might, just maybe, have one thing on made in America.  Even the watch you are wearing is foreign.

I haven't been to Walmart since I don't know when but then again you have other box stores that are doing a job on small businesses such as, Menards, Home Depot and Lowes.  I mean where else can you go and by a gallon of milk and a 2 X 4.

The best shirts I own, Columbia, are made in Viet Nam.  I never thought that would happen.

I know one reason but won't say the "U" word as that may really cause a fuss.

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 11:11:22 am »
I have just been paying more and try to really decide if I need something.  Going to do more deal shopping and coupons... craigslist too....