Author Topic: osage centershot handle bow (No. 65)  (Read 14588 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
osage centershot handle bow (No. 65)
« on: June 14, 2015, 03:22:49 pm »
This bow is made of a unique looking stave, at the handle it had been grown around a huge dead standing branch. The grain in this area also influenced the hump on the back.
An other smaller knot was coming out at handle, it was cut off and sanded down – no problem in this not bending handle. An additional ring was left standing on the back going from fade to fade, I thought it supports the unusual hump at the handle. So it is not only a center shot, but also a built forward handle. On belly side of handle was a drying check going nearly through the whole thickness, it was glued down with super glue without a problem.
The limbs come out of the handle with different angle, I could correct some amount, some not. The limbs were heavily twisted and took some time to heat most of that out, some didn't want to come out. Therefore the tiller looks somewhat crazy, but feeling and shooting is very good – I leave it as it is.

Nothing is on the bow, except the string. It has wonderful looking grain and rings, and they did come out great after a fuming session (24h). So this bow has a color like one already a year old, I love this golden brown. Will take some more experiments with long time fuming with upcoming projects.

The bow is 55#/28” and exact 60” ntn.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 03:27:39 pm by simson »
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: osage centershot handle bow (No. 65)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 03:34:00 pm »
Woo that's one sexy bow. I just love that wiggle.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline GB

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 03:37:47 pm »
As usual all I can say is "Wow!"  Beautiful work with a beautiful and tricky piece of osage, Simon.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 03:45:21 pm »
That is one fine looking osage bow, outstanding work Simon. Two thumbs up on the color from the fuming
of it as well, really makes the wood pop.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 04:15:54 pm »
Simon, I really admire the way you can creatively extract a bow out of these most challenging pieces of wood.  It continues to give me inspiration to keep honing my skills and creative problem solving ability in order to take advantage out of what Mother Nature has to offer.  A very fine bow you have shared.  Thanks for your posts and good photography.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 04:26:13 pm »
Simpson, that is a an absolutely outstanding looking piece of craftsmanship. Two thumbs up from me!!!
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 04:47:12 pm »
Very well executed on a wild piece.  Beautiful and simple

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 04:51:16 pm »
Another beautiful bow sir. Great job on tackling the issues.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Green

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 05:06:10 pm »
To someone who has only completed one, this is hugely inspirational, and educational.  Incredible work!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 05:19:01 pm »
Every time I think I've seen your best Simon, you surprise with a beauty like this one.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 05:21:18 pm »
  Beautiful job on that one, does it try to twist when you draw it with that off center handle?

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 05:25:29 pm »
Damn!  :o

I love the simplicity of this one combined with the great character. Another stunner!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline JonW

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 05:34:42 pm »
WOW! That's all I can say.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 06:34:16 pm »
That's a nice bow Simson.I sure don't see anything crazy about the tiller. You just have to do what you have to when it comes to osage. Good job.God bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 06:49:52 pm »
Wife was looking over my shoulder as I went through the pics.  She kept saying, "unbelievable!"  For once, we agree.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857