Author Topic: Small wood stove project - FINISHED!  (Read 31409 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: Small wood stove project - FINISHED!
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2016, 01:01:57 am »

Great job!  Now, you can take a couple of taters, and ears of corn, real butter, salt and pepper, Cajun seasoning, and tin foil, and when the coals get ready, toss in the buttered and seasoned,corn, and taters, and boy,oh, boy!  And when they are done, go out side, and reach in the snow pile, and pull out a nice cold beer, and feast like a king!  Thanks for the build along, enjoyed it.  Again, nice job.

Wayne

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2016, 09:37:23 am »
Can't say what already hasn't been said . great build along and a freakin sweet stove sir.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2016, 07:10:41 pm »
Thanks guys.  I kept a small fire going all day and my workshop was just under 70.  I think I burnt around half of a 5 gallon bucket worth of wood.  I've got a lot cut and split.  Probably enough to get me through the winter.  If not I've got a pile of wood outside ready to cut up if needed.  I straightened a cane arrow shaft over it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2016, 11:18:57 pm »
Clint, watch for creosote build up in the chimney. The smoke will cool quickly outside in the single wall pipe and the creosote will accumulate. A chimney fire can be pretty scary. You might be able to control it with a chemical additive every so often. If you can insulate the outside pipe it will help too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2016, 12:04:29 am »
Thanks for the warning Pat.  How quick will it build up?  I'm only burning it for about 6-7 hours on my days off.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2016, 09:15:42 am »
Hard to say, Clint. Osage is pretty oily but it burns very hot. I have a stainless steel, triple walled stove pipe and only get creosote build up on the cap where it cools rapidly.
 One thing you might consider is to put a "T" on the outside so you can occasionally run a wire brush up the pipe occasionally to clean the creosote out.  Also, like I said there might be a chemical you can throw into the fire occasionally that will help reduce it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2016, 08:52:01 am »
No chemical Pat, just a couple of hand fulls o good Ole rock salt about once a week will keep the build up down. Make sure you have a good hot fire with a decent amount of coals. Then just toss the rock salt in and stoke the fire up.  My entire family and I have done this for years
We do inspect and clean the flue every fall.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2016, 10:35:53 am »
Thanks Patrick. That's good to know.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2016, 10:45:20 am »
You're welcome, and if you do get to having problems get a good hot fire going and add quite a but of the rock salt. But you have to get it pretty hot. I try to toss it in about where the flue is if I can.
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2016, 11:55:52 am »
I have a triple walled insulated stainless steel chimney pipe that is virtually self cleaning. It is 25 years old and when I checked it at the end of the summer it was clean as a whistle. I use only seasoned firewood and mostly red oak. As far as I am concerned well seasoned red oak is the best! I'll start cutting next seasons firewood soon and get it stacked and covered.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2016, 01:02:53 pm »
I'm certainly not looking to argue with what has worked for others but the last thing I'd be dumping into my custom welding project is piles of salt. Salt and metal are bad friends. I burn a lot in my stove in my shop and I have no creosote problems. Like Pat said the key is hot fires with seasoned wood. Seasoned wood burning correctly does not have very much creosote in it. But like others have also said creosote can happen when rapid cooling of a single wall pipe like you have. That is why double wall and triple wall insulated pipe is better because it does not allow cooling. Me personally I would stay away from the salt and periodically check it and only burn dry wood and you should be fine. The one thing I would watch as I thought I read you ran a 3 inch riser up for your flue pipe, just need to keep your fire small because that's a rather small size pipe and it only has the ability to draft so much

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2016, 05:07:03 pm »
Paul, I'm keeping a fire going about the size of a gallon paint can.  My firewood pieces are roughly 6" x 1.5".  I'll throw in 2 or 3 pieces at a time.  I think the 3" pipe is plenty for what I'm burning.  I've been keeping an eye on it though.

I'm only using it 15-20 hours a week during the coldest months.  I am taking it all down when it warms up.  I'll check and clean the chimney pipe.  I don't expect to much build up. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:10:16 pm by osage outlaw »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2016, 09:02:14 am »
Pauly makes and moves hot and cold air for a living. I'd lean that way, myself.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2016, 03:40:15 pm »
Pearlie, I've heard you move quite a bit of hot air.  ::)   ;)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2016, 03:45:00 pm »
   Good one Pat