Author Topic: String grooves  (Read 2857 times)

Offline DC

String grooves
« on: July 11, 2015, 01:56:06 pm »
When I'm doing the final string alignment(last 1/16" or so) on a recurve can I "cheat" and let the string grooves center the string or should I do it right? Dumb question. I'm at 20" draw, got 7.5" to go. The string stays on and goes right over the center of the handle. It's just out a bit on the one recurve. The other is dead center. If I correct it now what are the chances that it will move again while I tiller the last  seven inches? It's got pretty big hooks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: String grooves
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 05:23:35 pm »
Recurves can be tricky if things don't line up. I think I'd try to get it straighter.
 I'll move this to "BOWS".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 06:35:03 pm »
Thanks Pat, twice :)  I've already done 6 or 7 heat corrections so far. One more won't hurt.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 06:38:11 pm by DC »

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 06:48:31 pm »
Don, I have cheated on a couple, but I prefer to get them as straight as possible. Heating right before the hook is the best spot.
I secure my bow side ways on my bench. I put a weight on the very tip attached to a string, so when I heat it up it'll bend the right way. I put something to stop it from going too far, a little block of wood or something.
I've had real good luck doing this, and now do it on almost every recurve, even if they're out just a bit. They won't move through out tillering,  because this area is usually left a little stiff as to not lose your hook.

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 06:57:15 pm »
Is that OS "D"    ???
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 07:54:30 pm »
Always better to get it perfect, it looks like you can narrow that tip and move the string enough to be good just remove from the side that is off
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 08:11:07 pm »
Yes, it's OS. It's a replacement for the one that lifted a splinter a while back. I was planning on narrowing the tips a bit after I got the string lined up. I've already glued on the hoof tips so I would rather remove material from both sides. Here's my setup. I used the jig I originally bent the curves with to correct it. The big wedge is there to stop the curve from uncurling with the heat. There is a smaller wedge at the side to push the tip over. I heat it at the beginning of the curve, pretty much. It's a light bow, only about 35#, 62"NTN around the outside.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 09:03:08 pm »
OK All lined up and tillered to 27". That's 1/2" shy of my draw length. Now, how deep and how wide do I make the grooves? I've started with a 5/32" file, the file I use for making nocks.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 09:08:44 pm »
I like the depth to be half the thickness of the portion of string contacting them and as wide. That will depend on the  string being twisted or endless.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 09:30:00 pm »
That's pretty much what I had in mind. Just checkin'

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 11:23:03 pm »
I agree with Pat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC