Author Topic: The night sky in South Lake Tahoe  (Read 2762 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

The night sky in South Lake Tahoe
« on: July 15, 2015, 03:57:50 pm »
Back in Florida I worked a lot out in the dark where there was little light pollution.  The people I was guiding were usually from the city and had never seen the milky way before, or a satellite going across thy sky and many had never even seen a shooting star.  Now that I'm out in Lake Tahoe we have some dark skies here and with tonight being a new moon the sky was especially dark so I decided to do some long exposure photos of the night sky.  This is just with my point and shoot camera.  There's just something spiritual about a dark starry night sky.  If I look up at it too long I start to feel real small and it helps kind of put things into perspective for me.  I wonder how our lack of a view of the heavens at night has shaped our culture and how we view the world... just some thoughts  >:D

Away from the lake

Toward the lake

The van with dome light on and phone charger light in the front
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: The night sky in South Lake Tahoe
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 07:56:20 pm »
When I was in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado the sky at night had more stars than black around them. It is amazing how much light pollution changes the overall view of the night sky.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 08:00:12 pm »
very nice Mr tim! I do like the night sky!

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 12:18:11 am »
I haven't seen the Milky Way for decades, and I live in a small(ish) town.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 06:59:40 am »
Welcome to the hotel California Tim......good luck trying to leave!!!! Lol  :laugh:

@Pat....I was just in the San Juan's two weeks ago...prob my fav range in co. ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 08:25:03 am »
Where were you Chris?  We were north of Durango in the Hermosa drainage.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 09:12:27 am »
Thanks Tim. Those are some not so deep thoughts with some deep seeded ramifications. Thanks for the pics and taking us along.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 10:50:30 am »
Where were you Chris?  We were north of Durango in the Hermosa drainage.

The first week we were in the sangre de cristos n Spanish peaks country ...n the last week was spent in the huge vast expanse of the South San Juan Wilderness 20 miles east of pagosa springs. The three forks trailhead above platoro resivour to be exact. I try and go to co almost every year. Climbing/hiking peaks is my other obsession/hobby. I lived there for 4 years,n wood like to move back,n were trying to find a way to,but it isn't working out so great right now. Maybe some time later down the road I'll get back there to live hopefully.

Did ya know the upper headwaters of the Hermosa drainage is Hermosa peak,grayrock mountain,and yup you guessed it...BLACKHAWK mountain.  Haven't climbed it yet,but one of these days I will just cus it bears my handle name...lol

I was thinking of posting my trip with some pics,but I haven't gone thru them all yet,and there's a bazillion awesome pics,n it wood be hard to choose which ones to post...I climbed 7 peaks,not to mention the family activities that happened as well.

Anyways..sorry for the hijack...I almost got trapped in hotel California once,but made it out,and now reside in crappy hotel pa....lol  :laugh:  spent a month living out of my ole pathfinder with an ex there traveling around. A couple places I'd wanna see again is Yosemite and the redwoods...frigging amazing and unreal out of this world places.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 12:23:20 pm »
We hunted along Salt Creek above the Hermosa at 9k' to 10k'. Incredibly beautiful country.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 01:38:07 pm »
Chris if you get to Yosemite again get ahold of Yosemiteben on here he knows places to  take you  people don't know about
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹