Author Topic: Holly stave  (Read 1647 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Holly stave
« on: July 16, 2015, 02:29:16 pm »
Hi all,
I am about to start bow number four and have a
70" long stave 2" wide and 1.5" deep of pretty clear holly. Am thinking of an elb or war bow as strong as possible . Are there any issues I should be aware of as I have not worked holly and I blew up bow number three ....
Andrew

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Holly stave
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 02:51:03 pm »
Andrew, I've not made a bow from holly. I do know that American holly checks badly while drying, with the bark on or off. For a heavy war bow another wood might be a better option, something strong in tension and compression.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DavidV

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 10:45:05 pm »
I know it can get blue stain fungus if it's air dried slowly but I don't know if it's detrimental to a bow or just aesthetic.
Springfield, MO

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 03:38:09 am »
As Pat said, checking while drying is an issue.
Don't know if holly makes good ELBs. I have made a couple of flatties (40# up to 65#)out of this wood with good success.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 01:02:02 pm »
According to the EWBS website holly was reportedly used in medieval times for bows - I think WillS has some experience with it?

Offline WillS

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 07:23:40 pm »
No experience using it myself, but seen Joe with a couple of stupidly heavy holly bows made in true longbow designs.  160# region I think.

I've also heard about it checking badly, so as long as it's looked after properly it should be fine.