Author Topic: Snapped it!!  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Tower

Snapped it!!
« on: July 19, 2015, 04:26:04 pm »
Ok lesson #1 slow down & follow  your gut.
At the Classic,John (Iowabow) gave me a beautiful piece of stone .
I began bifacing  & thining it at the classic, but stopped due to a couple bad hinges.  I've had two months to look at the problems & figure out how to attack it.   
Every strike was working perfectly . I began punch notching & it was great also.  All I had left to do was clean the inside edges & even up the notches. I couldn't find my tool I use to do this so I was using a pressure flaker. I kept telling myself to slow down & wait , not NOO, I didn't listen.  Damn!
Always listen to your still small voice inside.

My intention wS to finish the point & send it back to John.
This break hurt!  So I super glued it!!

He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline bubby

Re: Snapped it!!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 04:31:43 pm »
That's a low down dirty shame, still a beauty of a point but when you know ya glued it it just ain't the same
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ghost Knapper

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 04:45:20 pm »
Thats down right beautiful. Even if it is broken and glued back together it is still an amazing piece. That would be a proud addition to anyones keeper case.

-joel

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 05:06:04 pm »
Ohhh, , that hurts. Still a very nice point for someones case.  Bob

AncientTech

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 05:44:12 pm »
Every time I yell, my wife comes out behind the house, with a big grin on her face.  Then, she asks, "What happened?"

I have a theory about this.  I think that there is a part of the brain that works when a person is flintknapping, which we are not always conscious of. 

To give an analogy, when a person eats food he actually creates, controls, and applies, pressure.  He does it over and over, via mastication.  If a person has a small lemon drop, or piece of hard candy in his mouth, he will unconsciously turn it, and crack off chips, via pressure.  We do not really think about it unless we inadvertently do something like bite down on a metal fork.  Otherwise, while not making a mistake, the brain seems to work almost unconsciously.

In flintknapping, I have always felt that some part of my brain was guiding me, apart from language, and conscious thought.  And, frequently, if I overthink what I am doing, my hands fumble.  Sometimes, I try to make myself stop thinking, so as to not ruin the flintknapping process.  But, in order for this to work, a person has to practice ALOT, until the processes become second nature. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 09:17:08 pm »
That's a crying shame.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Majuba Tom

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 11:39:28 pm »
Ouch. Still a beautiful point.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 02:10:46 pm »
Still a keeper

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 11:06:17 am »
You did well to make it to that stage! Burlington is a hard rock to base notch, but you nearly pulled it off. Still a keeper in my books, and I bet John would be proud to own it.

Offline turbo

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 12:26:47 pm »
Ditto, that's a beauty, broke or not!

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 02:34:13 pm »
sorry I haven't been posting lately I have been everywhere but home.  When I got home I have had computer problems.  What a beautiful point fro an expert knapper! why don't you take an hour off of work and make like 3 or 4 more.  So we can look at those also  :D

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 05:28:46 pm »
Yeah, what Sasquatch said.

(and HOORAY for superglue)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 05:36:46 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 07:03:15 pm »
I hate that for ya Don. We've all resorted to super glue at one time or another. I sent one to hillbilly but don't tell anybody. That's a hellofa nice dart point regardless.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 06:56:58 am »
I have several of mine in cases that I have glued together, no shame in that especially with such a smoker of a point.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 04:16:36 pm »
Best part is, your man enough to post it. 8)
Inner voice? >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.