Author Topic: Is anyone hunting this year?  (Read 8388 times)

Offline Little John

Is anyone hunting this year?
« on: August 16, 2015, 11:40:09 am »
I have not seen where hardly anyone is planning any primitive hunts this year. Surely we are all about ready to head out into the woods after bow killed game. Lets hear about your plans and dreams for this years season. I hope we all harvest some of natures bounty in a rewarding and traditional experience.                Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline bowandarrow473

Re: Is anyone hunting this year?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 01:07:19 pm »
I actually am on my way back from a hunting trip to SC now. I didn't get anything but I did get to watch some deer and that's enough for me. Planning to head back up next weekend and get everything ready for when I decide I wanna hunt with the selfbow(which will probably be next weekend). This season id just like to kill a deer, any deer, as the saying goes"you can't eat horns".
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 01:53:48 pm »
In Sept. I am heading out to long island in willapa bay here in the rainforest of coastal washington state. It is a bow hunting only unit, accessable only by boat. The island is 5x2 miles, and has deer, elk, bear. theres also a grove of old ceadars there, 15 foot diameter! Gonna spend a week out there camping.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 02:05:29 pm »
I'm bowhunting with a primitive bow this year, this will be my second year doing so. The archery season doesn't begin until September 12 in WI but I'm a little behind in preparation. In October I'll be going on my first black bear hunt in Maine but I'll be using a rifle for that hunt. The rest of the archery season I'll use every opportunity I can get to be out in the woods with my bow. My goal is just to take a legal animal with a primitive bow. One of my hang-ups right now is whether or not I should use a bow that I made or one that I bought. I have 3 primitive bows, only one I have made and it is my weakest bow and has the slowest cast but I'm most accurate with it. I have been shooting a 50# Rudderbows hickory ELB for the past two months to build up my strength but I'm more accurate up to 15 yards with the 40# cherry bark-backed red oak ELB I made last year, my first bow, at 20 yards though my 50# bow is more accurate for me. I feel like the 40# would be the better choice but I can't get this quote from a chapter written by Stewart Edward White out of 'Hunting with the Bow & Arrow' out of my head: 'Do not linger with a weak bow simply because it is easier to draw...". I'll have to make that decision soon.

Good luck to all the hunters out there,

Aaron

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 03:50:56 pm »
I plan to go on a few hunts in GA and SC this year, Kenneth. I do wish I was coming back out to hunt with you again. Real estate is picking up so maybe next year.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 05:21:33 pm »
  I rarely do any huntin=g other than local any more. I start my new season as soon as our old one quits JAN.1 ST. On 3 Frms I have a good dozzen ground sites set up.  Just waiting for the right time and wind.

So far this summer I've seen (glassed) 56 bucks 8 shooters. 3/1 TO 6 1/2
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 06:03:57 pm »
As long as I can get up and out of work I'll be hunting, Kenneth.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 07:08:15 pm »
Good I am glad we still have some hunters out there. I will start the last weekend in Aug, for elk. Sure is hot out here in the desert of S.W. Colorado but the elk are around and some big boys. The oil field is dead so will have time to hunt. There is a lot of empty desert out there but is really exciting when you find them. Good luck to everyone, I am anxious to see the pics and hear the stories.  Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 06:23:54 am »
Yep, it is always the plan. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 11:23:54 pm »
Good luck Pappy, I know you will do good you always do. Cheers.         Kenneth

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 08:06:39 am »
Not so good last year Kenneth but hoping for better times this season ;) Good luck to you also, beautiful country you live in. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 09:35:53 am »
Sure am. A small group of us are heading to Grayling, Michigan for a week of bow hunting in October. Even have a wall tent amongst us. Should be a fantastic time with fantastic friends.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 10:13:41 am »
Ill be in a tree at daylight October 1st with a stick and a string in my hand
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Little John

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 10:46:16 am »
Great guys, wishing everyone an adventure and great season,  Man oh man Pearlie Grayling Michigan sounds nostalgic, best take some Bear razor heads along.             Kenneth

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 11:15:34 am »
Naturally Kenneth! Your welcome to fly up and live with us for a week.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.