Author Topic: Warming up  (Read 2171 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Warming up
« on: August 16, 2015, 05:38:39 pm »
I got to thinking bout something today and now I'm curious about everybody's thoughts.

You know, we've always been told that if you didn't exercise the limbs, or, warm them up on a Self bow you could pretty much count on it blowing apart. Now, I'm wondering if the bow , let's say osage, (because it is King), is Tillered correctly, arrows are spined right and no run-offs, or violated knots, with rings chased perfect. If this is actually true with the knowledge available now when it comes to making bows?

The reason I started thinking about it is because I will grab several bows to shoot and not think about warming them up when I go between self bows, backed or glass. I just grab them and shoot, most of the time.

We've heard a lot of "Rules" over time and a lot of them have been proven wrong. So, what do you think?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline paulsemp

Re: Warming up
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 05:43:53 pm »
I also just grab and shoot. I do think warming and exercising limbs is very important when making a bow. When I brace a new bow for the first time I almost always let it sit for a half hour before I start even pulling on it. For me I think it makes or breaks the bow and how good the tiller is. I personally don't think it matters once it's broken in and his shot a bunch of arrows

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 05:48:13 pm »
Once its a bow i grab and shoot, if it hasn't been shot in a long time i just leave it braced a while then grip it abd rip it😈
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 05:51:43 pm »
I mostly give them a few short tugs as soon as I string one up prior to shooting. I started the habit of doing this with any bow I had just recently made because I wasn't sure if they would blow at sometime within the first few hundred arrows. Having had a few explode at full draw made me more gun shy until a bow had proven itself to be trustworthy. Not sure how necessary this practice is but it gives me a bit of confidence
prior to yanking her back. In theory it seems like a reasonable thing to do for the health and longevity of
the bow.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 06:18:33 pm »
Osage ain't king! Hickory sapling bows are just as good >:D
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 06:23:35 pm »
Sorry bud hickory is good, but osage is THE KING!!!!!!!!!!!!
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 06:29:00 pm »
  If I feel a bow is edgy I might take a couple of warm up strokes but normally just grab and shoot.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 06:31:33 pm »
I was hoping you'd give your opinion, Steve. I'm kind of the same way, if it is a new bow I will work it but after I've been shooting it awhile I let it fly.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 06:58:22 pm »
I'm like Badly Bent, I also give a few short pulls with any bow I shoot just after bracing. I do it with glass or wood bows. Maybe it's more to exercise myself.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 07:44:42 pm »
I'm like Badly Bent, I also give a few short pulls with any bow I shoot just after bracing. I do it with glass or wood bows. Maybe it's more to exercise myself.  ;D

I'm with ya Pat and Greg,  I do it too, but I think it's to warm myself up .... :) :) ;)
DBar
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 08:02:03 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 07:55:42 pm »
No warm ups for the bow ... just for me.
In cold temps I do put the bow outside for about 5 minutes.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 10:26:18 pm »
I put the limbs to my foot as if I was floor tillering several times......Or, wait for some sucker to come along to prove himself....Ya gotta like kids in their 20's, strong and not fear....never really tell them what to fear though.... ;) ;)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 02:25:55 am »
Osage will be fine....this has more to do with yew and cold weather. Yew can definately blow in low humidity/freezing temps. I've seen it happens three times  :o

Offline chamookman

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 04:23:06 am »
Put Me in the "string-n-sling" school. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 05:14:50 am »
About like Pat and BB, a few short tugs maybe just to be sure the string is set, if the situation warrants I string and shoot with no worries but usually I ant in that big of a hurry so I pull it a few times. When hunting I never do it after the first few tugs when it is strung in the morning. ;) Kind of like a lot of rules and stuff with wood bows, if it ant much trouble and I figure it can't hurt I do it.  ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good