Author Topic: Elm Mollie Advice - Tiller and Drying Checks  (Read 1765 times)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Elm Mollie Advice - Tiller and Drying Checks
« on: August 19, 2015, 02:15:34 pm »
Hi Guys, 
Looking for some advice on this bow.  Its Elm, 62" ntn shooting for 55#@26"
I have it at low brace right now- 19" at about 50lbs, which is what you see in the pic. 

Looks to me in the pic the left limb is a little stiffer than the right?  Let me know what you think.

Also, this bow has a big check in the left limb that runs off the side.  It is located between the two coloured dots in the picture.
After I heat treated the bow I filled it with epoxy warmed with a heat gun to get it to flow into all the cracks.  So far, there has been no
movement in the big check or the small checks on the side of the limb which I also filled with epoxy.
 I intend, if I get it to my full draw to wrap with thread set in glue as extra insurance.   

So, I'll be going to full brace soon and I'm wondering which limb you guys would choose to be the top limb?  The limb on the left ended up a bit narrower because of a bunch of smaller checks that got pulled off during the roughing out of the bow.  So not only is it a touch narrower (2"@fades tapering to 1.5" at the end of working limb compared to 2"@fades tapering to 1 7/8") it has a big check in the first half of the limb.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 02:20:50 pm by bubbles »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Elm Mollie Advice - Tiller and Drying Checks
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:30:21 pm »
I agree with what you say, left looks stiffer, you seem to have the whole of the working portions bending, so looking good.
It's odd 'cos the right looks thicker, but maybe that's just lighting or camera angle ???.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 02:39:22 pm »
The left limb looks a little bit stiffer but other than that I see no other problems. I would use the left limb as the bottom limb, but it depends on where you grip the bow, do you plan to grip it higher than center or lower?
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 02:56:39 pm »
I'd get the left bending closer to the right if it was me, the amount stiffer that the right is at brace it is gonna have quite a bit of postive tiller and I'm guessing too much positive
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 03:00:56 pm »
I usually put the shelf about 1" above center bowandarrow473

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 04:22:43 pm »
Then think that I would put the left limb as the top, if my reasoning is correct then if you tiller both limbs evenly from the center the top limb should bend slightly less if you put the arrow rest 1 in above center. Might be wrong though, in all honesty aside from the ever so slight advantage from doing what was stated above it really dosent matter which is top or which is bottom.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 05:37:11 pm »
To be more specific, I was wondering if there was any advantage to having the checked/compromised limb as either the top or the bottom.   I wasn't intending to pick the top or bottom limb based on the tiller picture.  I would still be evening those limbs up a bit.   

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 05:51:20 pm »
Thats what I meant, if both limbs bend the same when pulled at the center then when you pull from 1in above center the top limb should bend slightly less I think.