Author Topic: Advice on narrow, rounded belly bow...  (Read 8189 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Advice on narrow, rounded belly bow...
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 01:36:47 pm »
  Here is a 30 min special red oak, 1 1/8 wide 15.5 oz, 67"long, 40#@28". about 3/4" of set but I started off at 55# so would have taken less. Not so skinny to twist. Fits great in the hand and not fragile. Should be bending a little more mid limb.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 01:44:16 pm »
Awesome Badger... That's exactly what I need!   

I take it you and Pearl Drums are a bit at odds? Either that, or the "rules" of bowery are a bit like the bows they produce - they can be bent...
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 01:56:33 pm »
 Pearl just likes to argue LOL. No, I don't think we are at odds, we all just share different experiences.   On this type of bow you can make a bunch of them quickly just using the tillering gizmo with the bow about 1/2 drawn. On a rounded belly a rasp works very quickly.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 02:01:43 pm »
Pearl just likes to argue LOL. No, I don't think we are at odds, we all just share different experiences.   On this type of bow you can make a bunch of them quickly just using the tillering gizmo with the bow about 1/2 drawn. On a rounded belly a rasp works very quickly.

Outstanding. Thank you sir!

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 02:09:25 pm »
The one on the right is an epoxy formed horn nock, the one on the left is a real horn nock. You can't tell the difference if you are looking right at them.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 02:32:46 pm »
OK, I am definately trying the epoxy nocks...   Hey, that might be a good idea for a crossbow nut too.  Hmmmm... Now you've got the wheels a turning...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 03:09:41 pm »
For whatever reason, I was under the impression you wanted backed bows. Carry on and do what you will.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 03:26:41 pm »
I have  yew lumber id trade for the right stuff

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 03:54:22 pm »
For whatever reason, I was under the impression you wanted backed bows. Carry on and do what you will.

It will be a backed bow for the purpose of laying in reflex, just as I do for my flat bows.

Offline bubby

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 05:13:50 pm »
Is a hard backed bow "period specific "?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 05:17:35 pm »
i think the red oak is easy and cheap to get and will make the bow required,, and is time efficient as seen above,, many other woods and designs will work,,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 08:20:14 pm »
Steve's bow doesn't have a back. A red oak backed with ash, hickory or elm will not act the same as Steve's straight up red oak board did. Your increasing the backs tension properties greatly. That totally changes how the belly of red oak works and what it will handle.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2015, 09:20:23 pm »
 Backed bows made with hickory and tropical wood bellies were very common in that era. Maurice Thonpson mentions them repeatedly in TWOA.
 The Thompson's preferred them over all native timbers.
 Snakewood, Fustic, Ruby wood, stained Lancewood are all mentioned as bow woods of that time.
 Here is a link to the chapter in Thompson's book.
http://archerylibrary.com/books/witchery/docs/appendix/appendix_1.html
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 09:24:57 pm by PatM »

Offline Badger

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2015, 11:01:22 pm »
  Most of the elbs I do are tropical woods backed with either hickory or white oak. On a bow as described that needs to be long and lightweight like 40# it is almost impossible to make a bow with reasonable dimensions from a dense wood belly.  If you are not worried about the 5/8 rule it is no problem.

Several years ago I had to make about 2 dozen reenactment bows in the 30# to 40# range. I used western white cedar which isn't even considered a bow wood and it worked out great. They had nice demensions for handling and the physical mass stayed light for good performance.

When I do use a hickory backed ipe for a low pound bow I use the mass principle and it tells me to move the bend way out from the handle and make them bordering on whip tillered. They shoot great like that. If a bow is too narrow it is just too easy for it to start twisting sideways.

Offline bubby

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2015, 11:15:02 pm »
Backed bows made with hickory and tropical wood bellies were very common in that era. Maurice Thonpson mentions them repeatedly in TWOA.
 The Thompson's preferred them over all native timbers.
 Snakewood, Fustic, Ruby wood, stained Lancewood are all mentioned as bow woods of that time.
 Here is a link to the chapter in Thompson's book.
http://archerylibrary.com/books/witchery/docs/appendi

Thanks pat
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹