Author Topic: Stone & Trade Points  (Read 3525 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Stone & Trade Points
« on: August 27, 2015, 05:50:55 pm »
Question:
How do you align them......vertical or horizontal ?  and why...
Thanks
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Stone & Trade Points
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 06:02:21 pm »
I like mine horizontal for hunting, vertical for a wall display. Just my preference, but it seems less distracting for me mounted horizontal for hunting.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 07:49:09 pm »
I cut the slot for trades and stone points the same as the nocks...vertical.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 07:52:45 pm »
Hummmm .... I should have realized this............... two responses and two different ways.. ;D
Hey Rich!!!! How do you do them  ::) :) ;)
DBar

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 09:19:26 pm »
Diagonal?   ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 09:26:37 pm »
I actually put them at a slight diagonal so in the off chance that I overdraw by 3in, the broad head won't cut me up quite as bad. Honestly it doesn't matter, I've done some vertical some horizontal and a lot diagonal and notice no difference.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 10:01:31 pm »
I actually put them at a slight diagonal so in the off chance that I overdraw by 3in, the broad head won't cut me up quite as bad. Honestly it doesn't matter, I've done some vertical some horizontal and a lot diagonal and notice no difference.
B&A your adrenalin is really flowing to over draw 3" ...   ;)....Thanks for your input.
DBar

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 08:01:44 am »
I use to have trouble when I changed from field tips to Hunting points with flight right off the bow and would have to raise my nocking point or at least fool with it a bit to get the tail high out, I always had my head horizontal , I started mounting them vertical and the problem went away, I don't know, :-\  but figured it had something to do with wind plane as the bow was released, not sure but solved my problem so Vertical it is for me.  :) don't think it matters much if flight is good ,the arrow is spinning inflight anyway. Heard and old saying, the Indians mounted there heads vertical for 4 legged critters and horizontal when hunting man, something to do with the rib cage  ;) :) :) but as I said they are spinning so that's out the window, but I thought a pretty cute saying.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 10:32:00 am »
On planed shafts I cut across the grain, on shoot shafts I just put them on it don't matter IMHO. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 11:20:39 am »
I use at least some what of a gap shooting aiming system especially on longer shots. I see the tip of the arrow better with the broadhead in the horizontal.                           Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline half eye

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 09:11:14 am »
DB,
    I make mine vertical. Same as the string grove. I started that for split timber shafts because the orientation makes the slots "cross grain" which is stronger and puts the strong side against the bow. This doesnt matter on shoot shafts but they get the same because thats my "habit" now.
    The other reason for vertical is my shooting style where-in the head touching my bow hand is my release "trigger". I shoot instinctively and "draw to the head"
rich

That's enough out of you Pat  >:D

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 12:13:28 pm »
Thanks guys for the replies, looks like it's personal preference except for split wood shafts...kinda of figured that

My intentions were to get an answer from my arrow trade recipient   :)
Thanks for the reply Rich....I got lucky mounted the point on the trade arrow yesterday ..."vertically"   ;D ;)
DBar