Author Topic: Snaky bow thoughts...  (Read 18300 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: Snaky bow thoughts...
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2015, 01:28:39 am »
Try a thought experiment in the extreme.  Imagine a snakey bow where the S-curves moved two feet  or more to either side so that parts of the curve were almost parallel with each other, yet the tips still line up with the handle.  Which parts of the limb would actually be bending?  Probably just those parts that are nearly vertical--the upturns of the curves--someone more experienced would have to tell what would happen in that situation, but any less curve or snake to the limb is just a percentage of that utmost extreme.  I would have to go with less efficient,  but still stupid cool, and I still want one.

mikekeswick

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2015, 02:08:18 am »
I think you are exagerating the difference in weight and the 'extra' length. When you do the maths there isn't much extra length (unless you have the most snakey stave ever). Also as said earlier you have a given amount of wood in front of you and it can store a certain amount of energy pretty much regardless of it's shape....if you don't make it work to it's full potential then that's your fault not the snakeiness. If a bow is overbuilt then narrow it.
Where I would definitely agree is when a stave has knots. A stave full of knots is very likely to be overbuilt because you have hard wood not working = extra weight.

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2015, 07:58:38 am »
My take is this. I think it's probably impossible to get the mass of a snakey bow down to the mass of a straight stave bow. Although I think Mikekeswick is right that mass of wood determines energy storage, the limb shape likely also contributes to determining the maximum energy storage per unit mass.

At the end of the day I'd bet that a well made snakey bow is only slightly slower than an equal straight bow. I think on paper and through a chronograph there's probably a difference, but I'd imagine that in practice it's fairly negligible.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2015, 09:19:20 am »
I agree Ben. I've made a bunch of snakey bows and dont notice a difference. I don't have a chrono though so I wouldn't notice a difference of only a few fps.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2015, 09:33:54 am »
Why can they be very similar to a straight limb bow? Is there bending going on in ways or places we cant see with wiggly bows? This was an inquisitive thought from the start. I have no proof either way, just something about it made me think.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 10:28:42 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2015, 10:24:04 am »
Pearl you finished that other bow yet? It won't lie.i am no engineer , and do not do math much passed apples and oranges. But I have built buildings for 40 years and do understand simple mass structure. The snaky bow can not produce the same amount of energy In my oppinion . It can weigh more and that is my point. It can store the same say 50 # of draw but on release the extra mass will absorb some of the energy stored. Meaning less cast. And probably more shock. I will call it dead weight. You can't run as fast with 20# pack on your back. lol I don't mean to fuel a fire here guys. Just me thinking. Boy that could get dangerous . Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2015, 10:37:56 am »
I did Arvin. I built and shot it in this weekend as promised. I didn't weigh it yet and its not snaky as much as its wiggly, it was the best I had in my pile. Its 2# lighter in draw than its counterpart straight bow. It shoots wonderful, has the typical "hand shock", if you want to call it that. All in all? I cant tell a difference, although there has to be some in there.

One thing I will say. The bows thickness taper is right where it should be, so the wiggles are not doing any work. If such was the case the limbs would be noticeably thinner.  Id guess the wiggles added about 2-3" per limb. I'll post it in a few days.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2015, 10:52:25 am »
Guess it depends on what you call efficient. I have made a bunch and they all shot well ,no more shock than any other and was efficient enough to kill deer. ;) :) that's how I gauge efficiency.  ;)Never gave it much thought as is normal for me building bows. :o
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2015, 12:49:40 pm »
Point taken Pappy ! You can't eat speed. Well coming out of a bow and arrow. ;) Arvin

Stringman

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2015, 01:32:28 pm »
I'll post it in a few days.

Yes, please do. I wanna see it!

Offline Will H

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2015, 07:03:46 pm »
I think you are over thinking it a bit pearly. I can't tell a difference in my snake bows and my straight bows. The difference in length is in significant IMO.

I just took a string and followed the curves exactly on my most snakey one and it added an inch and a half per limb. So my 60" bow is actually a 63" bow. I agree with you that they are like lottery tickets as with any character bow. Sometimes you win sometimes you loose. But I don't think they aren't good performers and good everyday shooters. I still go back to Miss November regularly every after four years and four seasons of hunting.

Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2015, 06:42:25 am »
That's a beauty, Will.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Will H

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2015, 08:34:19 am »
Here's a set of billets I'm working on right now. The snake I'm them amounts to less than an inch per limb.

Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2015, 08:36:45 am »
Doin' some sisters eh" Will? :)

Nice clean set, should make a good bow in your capable hands.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 08:55:30 am by PEARL DRUMS »

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2015, 08:53:29 am »
I think you are over thinking it a bit pearly. I can't tell a difference in my snake bows and my straight bows. The difference in length is in significant IMO.

I just took a string and followed the curves exactly on my most snakey one and it added an inch and a half per limb. So my 60" bow is actually a 63" bow. I agree with you that they are like lottery tickets as with any character bow. Sometimes you win sometimes you loose. But I don't think they aren't good performers and good everyday shooters. I still go back to Miss November regularly every after four years and four seasons of hunting.