Author Topic: Snaky bow thoughts...  (Read 18298 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Snaky bow thoughts...
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2015, 08:55:19 am »
I think you are over thinking it a bit pearly. I can't tell a difference in my snake bows and my straight bows. The difference in length is in significant IMO.

I just took a string and followed the curves exactly on my most snakey one and it added an inch and a half per limb. So my 60" bow is actually a 63" bow. I agree with you that they are like lottery tickets as with any character bow. Sometimes you win sometimes you loose. But I don't think they aren't good performers and good everyday shooters. I still go back to Miss November regularly every after four years and four seasons of hunting.

Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2015, 09:04:04 am »
Beautiful, Will. You are very talented. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2015, 09:08:45 am »
I have made one super snaky bow that I remember, most of mine have been gentle wiggles like this one;

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2015, 09:29:43 am »
Well that did not work. Will that is deserving of bow of the month for sure. Beautiful bow. Nice deminishing mass. Tips not to heavy. I could go on and on about the great things in your bow. But 1 inch is 1 inch. Tape one more inch of wood to the ends of that bow and see if you can tell a difference. Now you have added two.  ;D seriously great bow but I think the question was does the extra length affect performance. Not to the degree that bother some of us but maybe others. I think I seen that bow at Pappys and that is why I made the comments about your success with the deminishing mass. I feel and see that before I shoot one. Job well done. Arvin

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2015, 09:41:59 am »
I guess I really don't understand, lets say you make a bow 62 n-n and it shoot well and performs well then make the same bow except 66 n-n will it not shoot well if design is good and take off any wood that isn't needed . ??? :-\
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Stringman

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2015, 09:56:28 am »
I completely understand what Chris is saying, but it just doesn't fit me. Not sure I will ever be able to shoot to the potential present in these weapons so the relatively small discrepancy mentioned doesn't bother me. For me, there are way too many variables in this game to focus on one as a game changer. Sure, the numbers might play out on a machine with high tech sensors, but in my hands it just won't ever matter. Still, good thoughts.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2015, 10:02:15 am »
It would perform well pappy. But, if you made that same 66" bow and only allowed 62" of it to work while the rest was left stiff. What would happen?

I never said they wont kill deer, shoot well, have hand shock or perform poorly. But extra mass is extra mass, something has to be going on to make them shoot nearly the same as a straight limbed bow. We nit pick tip width, yet an extra 1-2" on each limb doesn't matter on a wiggly bow? That seems counter intuitive to me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2015, 10:02:50 am »
Ya Scott lots of folks have lots of reasons for doing what we do, just high performance ant one of mine and as you said the way I shoot it really don't matter.  ;) :) Still interesting to read and have other folks thoughts, never know when a light will come on and you say WOW never though about that as it did in this thread for me. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2015, 10:04:41 am »
In most cases Chris all the limb on a snaky bow is working if all goes well,just not stretched out as far. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2015, 10:50:36 am »
When my skill level gets to where I can build a snaky bow that performs like one of my boring straight stave bows I will build more snaky bows cause I think they are cool. Arvin

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2015, 11:21:13 am »
I'd make a snakey bow every time if I could. I love em. It just doesn't grow like that often enough.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Stringman

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2015, 02:25:32 pm »
Let's say, through experimentation and thorough analysis we can conclude snakey bows are less efficient than straight limbed bows. What then? Will you not make another one? I'm positive that most snake skins on my bows reduce limb speed by some small margin, but that doesn't keep me from adding them when they fit. Some of this is just the trade off we are willing to accept for the aesthetics we desire. I think your question is legitimate only from the context of pure performance. Very few of us on here build to that model.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2015, 03:00:01 pm »
Well put stringman. Arvin

Offline DC

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2015, 03:09:30 pm »
You may not use that knowledge day to day but having it stored away in your little grey cells is like having money in the bank. And who knows, it might start affecting your day to day. Pure knowledge is never a waste.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2015, 03:44:32 pm »
There is no way I can get better at this if I don't question everything, and I do. I've learned way too many tricks by thinking outside the common box. As I said from the start it was merely an inquisitive thought and question, that none of us have the answer to. I appreciate the pages of replies, hopefully a few more of ya's got to thinking as a result.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.