Author Topic: "Adding" wood to stop hinge.  (Read 2038 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
"Adding" wood to stop hinge.
« on: August 28, 2015, 05:46:17 pm »
I'm working on a Kentucky coffeetree bow, got a couple spots that started to hinge after coming to final tiller and shooting it in.

Anyway, I'm experimenting with gluing some thin ERC strips to the belly to thicken the areas, since ERC is better in compression and won't add much physical weight I thought I'd try it.

Anyone tried and done something like this? Success?

Thoughts?

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: "Adding" wood to stop hinge.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 05:55:59 pm »
Haven't done it with those woods, but I have had success with Osage. It's  hard though, because you don't need to add much wood, and unless you use glue that is very strong in compression, the wood and glue line are likely to buckle. Worth a try though.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 06:05:04 pm »
I used TBIII, we'll see.  It's a learning process, and not real pretty, but it's not rocket science either..  it will either break, fall apart, or propel projectiles with deadly force... :D  it's just a piece of wood..

Offline Ryan C

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 06:16:24 pm »
Heat gun in the hinged area seems to work too

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 07:15:04 pm »
When I was starting I made a OS bow and did just that. I glued a 1/16" thick piece of OS on with Epoxy and then re-tillered. I screwed up and hinged it right beside the patch. I glued another piece overlapping the first and retillered again. Then I messed up the other limb so I did it. The bow barely makes 32# and some of that is stack but it's holding. It's ugly a sin so I wouldn't recommend it but it will work.

Offline Blob

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 08:12:05 pm »
I'm not an experienced in doing any of this, and normally I wouldn't even bother  responding.  However, I was reading TBB IV last night.  The illustration on page 135 shows a hinge patch using combed linen applied the same as using sinew.

A combed linen backed bow is on my list to do someday.