Author Topic: Z joint  (Read 1818 times)

Offline DC

Z joint
« on: August 28, 2015, 10:26:41 pm »
 In a "Z" splice the center face usually follows the grain. Would it compromise it much to have it at a slight angle to the grain? I could avoid two heat bends if I could misalign the "Z" joint by 1/16-1/8". This would be a 4" joint.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Z joint
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 12:48:08 am »
In a rigid handle it shouldn't matter
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 09:24:35 am »
It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever whether that middle cut follows the grain. In fact, you could make a V splice, W splice, S splice, or whatever shape you want.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 12:06:34 pm »
It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever whether that middle cut follows the grain. In fact, you could make a V splice, W splice, S splice, or whatever shape you want.

100 percent rue as long as you are making a stiff handle.  It's about 99.5 % true if the handle bends. Splicing any raw stave?billets will likely require this, due to small differences in crown diameter, waves and bumps, etc...Whenever a splice fails on me it's because it was a lousy splice.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 02:39:22 pm »

Thank you. Mentioning the "W" splice just opened my eyes. ;D ;D