Author Topic: Giant Bow  (Read 8753 times)

Offline Badger

Giant Bow
« on: August 29, 2015, 12:13:46 am »
Check me out building a giant bow for the discovery channel   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qUivOCfGZ0

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Giant Bow
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 02:05:06 am »
thats cool ;D

Offline GB

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 02:34:29 am »
That was really fun to watch.  Nice piece of engineering on that gigantic board bow, Steve.  It sure did its job.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 03:07:38 am »
Excellent :).
I'll bet if they left you to develop it a bit more you'd have had it throwing about 3 times as far, prob' by adding a sling and letting the arm come further?
Your bit with the bow was best by far :)
Great the way they appreciated your expertise and feel and you ignored the CAD guy ::)
They always cut these programs too short... I'd have liked to see heavier projectiles. The tuning of the device would have been a whole extra program for us bow nuts.
Del
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:57:13 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 09:21:24 am »
I remember that Steve.  I'm going to save a copy of that vid
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 09:29:43 am »
  I have had a few people ask me about it and I noticed the video was back up there.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 09:36:48 am »
Excellent, Steve! They were lucky to have your expertise, they would have probably hurt themselves with the bow. I'm going to have to watch this again.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 10:19:29 am »
Sweet.  :)

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 11:35:15 am »
  The most challenging part was not what you might expect. The actual build was just like any other lamination just bigger. The hard part was trying to figure out how to hit draw weight. I had zero help or advice from the engineer, he said just build it like the picture. I decided the only thing I could really go by was the crank they used to wind it up. I figured I would make it so one man pushing about 150# on the crank could just get it to full draw. I did some small scale models to test that theory out and just prayed it would scale up accurately which it did thank god, I got it just right on the first shot.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 01:28:46 pm »
I was wondering about draw weight actually and how you would try and predict or hit the goal weight.

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 01:52:56 pm »
   On the very tip of the 16 ft throwing arm it only built draw weight at about the same rate a regular bow does, about 3# per inch, but over about a 16 ft power stroke it added up to a few thousand pounds of stored energy with a peek draw force of about 500# or so. If you were to cut the throwing arm shorter to about 8 feet, the peek force was much higher and it would have been a lot more efficient. On the models I built I converted them to trebuchets and they worked outstanding.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 02:57:59 pm »
Thanks for filling in some of your planning/figuring process.
Many years ago I made a model siege engine from illustrations in the Ralph Payne Gallwey book.
I spent ages making a nice throwing arm with a carved out spoon end... out of Pear wood.
First shot it snapped clean in half where it hit the horse hair stuffed leather buffer >:( ::)....
I made a replacement from Elm that was fine and one with a sling too.
Got some nice pics of it lobbing a marble... down the bottom of the page here:-
https://sites.google.com/site/delsbows/home/other-stuff
It was back in the analogue camera days... I got the pics by working in a darkened room with a flash triggered by som contacts on the throwing arm :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 03:26:20 pm »
Are these people actually a$$holes or is it scripted that way? Nice job on the bow and you came across great ;D ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 04:02:14 pm »
      Del, when I made the throwing arm I had to learn some new math. I figured out the approx speed and g forces that would be on it with a 5# weight and built the arm to just slightly flex on release. I was actually kind of proud of myself being a high school drop out and all.

DC, yes they were a little bit of a holes but not too bad. The producers went out of there way to stir up trouble it seemed like.

Offline GB

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 04:19:01 pm »
I thought the big gear, worm gear, and crank and the rope setup were cool, but the force the bow put out was beyond cool.  It's a shame that they didn't have the time to refine the throwing arm and get it to load and stop to its peak performance.  The guy's laptop would probably still be airborne. ;D
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.