Author Topic: trophy Bison hunt  (Read 10842 times)

Offline Sidewinder

trophy Bison hunt
« on: February 09, 2008, 05:26:15 pm »
Just wanted to let everyone know I have a line on a a bison herd that is going thru the cull season and there are several large older males 2000lb plus that are available for the next 2-3wks for about 1250.00 if anyone is interested. I am going to take one of the cows 900-1000lb = 750.00 for meat and hide purpose and their are some of those available as well. You can harvest it in which ever manner you prefer or pick up with a trailer live and haul it home. PM me if there is an interest. I must warn you the window of opportunity is small 2-3 wks and I recently found out about it myself, otherwise there would be more time to plan. The ranch is in Kansas. It is an excellent value on the meat and the experience sounds like it will be very worthwhile.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Little John

Re: trophy Bison hunt
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 10:32:25 pm »
Danny, sounds like a good deal. How does the hunt go? You said in the arrow post the hunt peen was two miles. Two miles square? What is the cover like? I would think grasslands by being in Kansas. Do you get several days to hunt? Don't think I could make it this year but maybe next time. Do they only do this in Feb.? Or maybe at other times as well? Any and all info apreciated.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 11:30:35 pm »
Ask them if I can do a horseback hunt.  Chase the buff and shoot from the horse.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 02:01:09 am »
Little John, I have not been there yet to see the hunting pen. The ranch Mgr said there is some hills, good grass and trees in that area. It sounds as if I may be able to find some ambush cover. I thought he said that it was L shaped and 2.7 miles but I didn't bother to clarify in our first conversasion.

As I understand it is Ted Turners herd and they are doing the pre spring round up and cull I think that is what makes it such a great deal. I will have more info next week and of course hope to post the outcome. I am currently putting together my 4 man team for the event. Me,  the back up shooter, the videographer and the distractor/driver. My 20yr old son said he wanted to go so I told him he is the one that gets to crawl up into the carcas and pull out the guts. Lol. It sucks to be the low man on the totem pole but I guess thats just paying yer dues.

Justin, If I were a horseman, which I'm not, that is the way I would prefer to do it. I am certain if you brought your own horses it would be a slam dunk. My thing is I have riden a few times and liked it but just no experience with a good cuttin horse and don't really know anyone I feel comfortable asking to use their horses so I can ride down a buffalo, but that would definitely be the way to go. Get a little plains short bow. Say 65lbs with a short 20" draw maybe even have a lancer in the mix. If they do this seasonally I may try and take advantage of the great meat price and make it something I schedule annaully.

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 02:45:25 am »
Hunting from horseback would be the ultimate, but complicates everything. I am deeply into horsesand have shot targets from my running horse. but buffaloe are very fast and younneed a very fast horse that is trained to follow the beast with out fear and with stamina for the long run,, you need an ambush to get a jump on the animals before they see or smell you. Also I don't think the average rancher would allow you to chouse the whole heard and probably run it thru fences. There is an article in P.A. a couple of years ago where Souix man got to hunt them from horseback, would be awsome if you could put it together. Howard Hill also killed a big bull from horseback and the story is in his book, hunting the hard way.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 01:41:16 pm »
Read Howard Hills account of his experience hunting buffalo from horseback in his book Hunting The Hard Way.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 01:57:32 pm »
I will first chance I get Dana, Thanks I'll bet it is very interesting. I haven't gotten any of Howards books as I have been reading more on bow building etc... I guess I will have to put that on the wish list for things to get.   Danny

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 02:06:07 pm »
Its a must read Danny
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 10:58:51 pm »
Hunting from horseback would be the ultimate, but complicates everything. I am deeply into horsesand have shot targets from my running horse. but buffaloe are very fast and younneed a very fast horse that is trained to follow the beast with out fear and with stamina for the long run,, you need an ambush to get a jump on the animals before they see or smell you. Also I don't think the average rancher would allow you to chouse the whole heard and probably run it thru fences. There is an article in P.A. a couple of years ago where Souix man got to hunt them from horseback, would be awsome if you could put it together. Howard Hill also killed a big bull from horseback and the story is in his book, hunting the hard way.    Kenneth
Kenneth, I think most good ranch horses would do the job.  I have run down a lot of wild beef bulls and cows on my yellow horse.  I am quite sure you are right about the ranchers frowning on it though.  They don't slow down when they see a fence.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Traxx

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 02:50:41 am »
And the average Buff,has more wind,and can outlast most any saddle horse.And,you are correct in sayin,a fence dont mean much to a buff,on the move.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 12:28:53 pm »
And the average Buff,has more wind,and can outlast most any saddle horse.And,you are correct in sayin,a fence don't mean much to a buff,on the move.
Yes they can move at over 30 MPH for several miles and when they get on a good lope (which is not slow) and they can continue for 10 hours or more. Lets see you get away from thatwhen he is mad. >:D Justin

SW Utah

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 08:52:13 pm »
Update for anyone that is interested. I have decided that my equiptment and preperation time is not sufficient to do the animal justice in a quick clean kill, so I have decided to use more modern means of harvesting her this year but I will be ready next year to do it the ole fashioned way for sure ( God willin). They do this about this time every year, once a year. Anyone interested in next year let me know and I will get you the details.  Danny

Offline Little John

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 01:49:01 am »
Danny you are probably right in your decision. Hope you get prepared and make it happen next year. Hopefully a buff is in my cards some day.   Kenneth

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 02:39:52 am »
Little John,
                 I will at least get the experience of gutting it and seperating the various parts and staiblizing them for future use. The only thing I have ever disemboweled is a fish, so this should be an interesting experience to say the least. As a matter of fact I look forward to turning a femar leg bone into a takedown splice jointwith buffalo rawhide tenon covers for the bow I will take next years with. Thanks for the encouragement. Danny

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 02:47:12 am »
I have been on Ted Turner's buffalo ranch in Montana as a member of the Montana Bison Association and they are paranoid about law suits.  You should make sure the ranch really would allow horses.  If they are like most Buffalo ranches they don't want to run the fat off the herd because most sell by weight.  You will also find that buffalo raised on a ranch are used to people and sneaking up on them is not a challenge.  When you shoot an old bull if there are any other bulls nearby they will attack the down bull.  The smell of blood can incite a riot and I have seen them really tear into the wounded bull!  If you are interested in good meat a young cow of less than 36 months makes the best eating. Most ranches have a tractor that they use to gut and load the carcases.  That is also something you need to ask as even a cow can weigh over a 1000 pounds and they are a lot of work to gut on the ground.  Putting an arrow into a buffalo will be exciting on horse back or on foot!!  Good luck and be alert!  Wolf Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight