Author Topic: New mocs (FINISHED)  (Read 17712 times)

Offline Josh B

New mocs (FINISHED)
« on: August 31, 2015, 09:24:31 pm »
I spent the weekend in Barstow Ca and it was way to hot to work outside so I had to come up with something to do in the AC.  Then I found some leather tucked away in a storage compartment in my sleeper.  This find reminded me that my old mocs were shot and deer season is around the corner.   I didn't have enough leather for my usual knee high plains style so I'm going with a simple two piece plains style(technically 3 piece if you count the tongue).  They don't look like much yet, but I'm  gaining on it.  The left one is 3/4 done and fits as it should.  I'll post some more pics as I go on the right one.  Thanks for looking.  Josh
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 07:20:51 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: New mocs
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 09:30:00 pm »
Josh I don't think there's anything you can't make. There looking good.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 10:07:27 pm »
I think I still got an outstanding ticket for exhibition driving in Barstow dating back to 1988. 

Nice teepee creepers, buddy.  Nothing like 'em for moving quiet is there?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 10:49:15 pm »
Thanks Rob.  I'm sure there's a whole lot of stuff I can't do.  In fact, I know there is!  Lol!
Thanks JW.  I need all the help I can get with stealth.  I'm as graceful in the woods as a bull in a China closet.  Lol!
I got the left one all fitted.  Now all is left is the lace and the tongue.  The tongue is a dilemma.  I usually just make a short tongue, but I'm debating on making a long one that folds over the top of the moc and beading a design on it.  I think I'll study on it while I stitch up the right moc.  Thanks for looking! Josh

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 11:19:03 pm »
Hehe, nice ankles there, trucker!
 >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 04:10:37 am »
Looking good Josh, should be comfy. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 06:02:03 am »
Oh they look great...
They are the shape of feet!!!
(Unlike most modern footware which isn't wide enough across the foot-knuckles (I just made that term up, I s'pose it must have a real name ::)) )
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline punch

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 12:00:40 pm »
How long do these last before you have to replace the bottoms? I have been thinking about making some.  If I'm not at work I am usually barefoot or in flip flops. I have to go pretty slow to keep the noise down when I'm in boots

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 12:32:24 pm »
JW-that's exactly why I prefer knee high mocs!  Lol!
Thanks Pappy!
Del- foot knuckles.....I like it!  Lol! My "foot knuckles" are wider than most.  I have to buy footwear that's EE wide.  Not sure how that translates in UK shoe sizing, but suffice it to say my feet are very wide.  Maybe that's why I was always such a fast swimmer in my youth. ::)
Josh- there's no simple answer to that.  Too many variables such as terrain, type of leather used, how often you wear them and so on.  Where I live its all dirt with some occasional soft limestone here and there.  Where you live is more sand and rounded rock.  That will cause more wear and tear although not as bad as volcanic and flint type Rocky soils.  Wearing them on concrete and asphalt wears them the fastest.  This time I'm using oil tanned leather.  I usually use brain or ivory soap tanned buckskin with either rawhide and beaver tail soles or tanned but not fully broken buckskin from the neck soles.  I only wear mocs in the woods while hunting and I would get 3 to 4 years out of the buckskin soles, but I had to replace the beaver tail every year.  I don't hunt near as hard now so I would be surprised if I don't get ten years out of these.  I hope that helps.  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 12:41:27 pm »
On a side note Josh, had I known I where I was going to go from Las Vegas, I could have hand delivered your staves instead of mailing them.  I ended up loading in Long beach Monday morning. ::)  That would have been much better considering it looks like the post office dropped the ball.  Josh

Offline punch

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 03:10:02 pm »
On a side note Josh, had I known I where I was going to go from Las Vegas, I could have hand delivered your staves instead of mailing them.  I ended up loading in Long beach Monday morning. ::)  That would have been much better considering it looks like the post office dropped the ball.  Josh

Lol no problem Josh.  I thought it was funny you got to so close before the staves did.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 04:06:52 pm »
My feet are just about square, I know all about the wide feet!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 04:37:54 pm »
That looks like some of Clyde's leather from the Classic.  They look great Josh.  This has my interested in making a pair for early bow season.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 04:56:15 pm »
Joe- it sure makes it tough to find comfortable steel toes don't it?
Clint-yep, you were with me when I bought it.  If you want, I can do a build a long on the right moccasin for ya so you can see how I fit em.  They are pretty simple really.  The only tools involved are a pencil, a cloth tape measure(I've used a piece of string before) scissors, a couple gloving needles, and something to punch stitch holes(I'm using a hammer, nail and a scrap of board).  Materials are leather obviously, art sinew, thick rawhide, and heavy paper for patterns. The rawhide insert is optional unless you have prickly pear hiding in the grass in your area.  Then its mandatory!  Josh

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 05:11:04 pm »
Better put an extra layer on the left foot trucker. You'll be shifting a hole right through!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.