Author Topic: New mocs (FINISHED)  (Read 17641 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: New mocs
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2015, 10:24:16 am »
Thanks Patrick!  I should have a little time this evening to work on em.  I still haven't made up my mind as to wether or not I want to do some minor beadwork on them.   I'm almost to the point where I have to decide.  Josh

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2015, 11:58:45 am »
Thats cool! Beadwork would be pretty neat. Have you ever done any knee high moc's?
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2015, 05:26:15 pm »
If your asking if I've ever beaded any knee high mocs, then no.  I have made them and prefer them.  In fact the moccasins I'm making now are easily made into front lace knee highs.  If I had enough leather, that's exactly what I would be making right now.  Since I've managed to work myself out of a job again today, I'm going to get my stuff out and resume the build along.  I'll be back in a bit.  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2015, 06:23:59 pm »
Alrighty then.  On to the final fitting.  Slide your foot in until your toes are just barely touching the seam in the front.  Now pinch the leather together at the top(I use a clothespin to hold it and then pinch it together ashe back of your heel.  Now draw a line with a pencil up both sides.  Once you have the line drawn ADD 1/2" of leather behind that line and cut off the excess.  Be sure you add the half inch!  I just forgot that step and completely ruined this moccasin.  Since I don't have enough leather to start over, build along is over.  Sorry folks.  Hey!  Bartender....double on the rocks down here and keep em comin! $%¥€<<#*¥¥¥!!!!!  Josh

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2015, 08:57:59 pm »
Aw man!  I was following along with this even though I haven't posted.  Can't you salvage it by running a strip up the back using one of the bits you cut off?  It won't be what you originally intended, but it might still work as a wearable moccasin. 

Offline Josh B

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2015, 09:05:27 pm »
Yeah...yeah I can.  I've already started on it.  It means a couple extra hours of sewing and it will look like crap, but on the other hand, since I certainly won't be beading them now I probably saved my self 10 hrs. of work.  I guess the deer won't care anyway.  Josh

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2015, 09:46:34 pm »
Also, I know that the goal is to be primitive here, but a pricking iron would save you an insane amount of time.  You could probably rig one up out of a few nails pounded through a small board so you could at least get a few holes done at a time...Also have you ever tried using a stitching horse/pony?  I wound up making one so I could learn to saddle stitch properly, it is incredibly handy to have that extra "hand" to pinch the leather together while you stitch. 

Don't mind me and my suggestions by the way, just lobbing out ideas because I like what you're doing and am getting my nose into it.  ;)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2015, 10:42:56 pm »
I appreciate all your suggestions and input!  I wish more folks were chiming in.  I can only speak for myself on this, but these build alongs take quite a bit of time and effort.  When I do one, it usually takes 3 times as long to complete a project than it would if I did the project without stopping to photograph every step and then post the pic with some sort of coherent explanation of each and every step.  I enjoy doing it if i think I'm actually helping someone, but with no input along the way I can't help but wonder if I'm wasting my time.  So by all means make suggestions, ask questions, even offering up constructive criticism is welcome.
As to your suggestions, I have been wanting to make myself a pricking iron for awhile.  I would imagine it would not only speed up the process, but drastically improve the spacing of my stitching.  I'm afraid I don't know what a stitching horse is though.  I'll have to look that one up.  Most of the time I'm working on stuff out on the road, so I'm pretty limited on what I can carry in the truck with me.  I do appreciate your comments, keep em coming!  Josh

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2015, 10:49:48 pm »
Too bad ya can't put beading where the sew line is.

I've used a fork to create multiple stitching holes. But there's real limit to # of leather layers.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:52:55 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Josh B

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2015, 10:58:26 pm »
I'll get me some more leather and make another pair.  Hopefully I won't screw them up so bad that there not worth beading either.  ::)  My uncles are out chasing elk in Wyoming, maybe they'll remember to save me a hide this year.  If so, I'll do a knee high moccasin build along.  After I tan the hide of course.  Thanks for following along.  Josh

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2015, 11:06:26 pm »
Here's a stitching pony Tandy leather sells: http://d31snyb1jsf9xb.cloudfront.net/services/image.aspx/media/images-product/Pro-Lacing-Stitching-Pony-3133-00.jpg  I've seen them with the upright part in the center so you can sit on a chair and have both legs over the top of horizontal bar.  Puts your piece at eye level and pinches it in place.  There's more simple versions too http://www.fineleatherworking.com/image/cache/data/tools/sewing-clam-01-960x906.jpg  that one is known as a stitching clam, it's held between your legs or in a vice to keep it closed around the piece you're working on.  That one might be your best bet since it's both simple and doesn't take up much space (although with the stitching pony you can unbolt it so then you just have two flat pieces to stash) 

I know what you mean, I've done a few tutorials and the stopping to take pictures at key points, download them, edit them and to write things out takes way more energy and time than just banging it out. 

Offline Josh B

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2015, 11:23:34 pm »
Yep, it's official....I'm an idiot!  I have a stitching horse in my shop.  I always wondered what it was for.  Lol!  I inherited it from my father in law.  Its in pretty good shape.  All the joints are good and tight and the clamps mesh up perfectly.  The only thing it needs is the leather strap that goes down to the foot bar.  Well if nothing else, you've answered a ten yr old question for me!  Thanks!  Josh

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2015, 12:23:43 am »
Hahaha, glad I helped solve that mystery for you! 

Offline Josh B

« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2015, 10:34:38 am »
That's one good thing that came out of this project anyway.  I'll get back on this next week.  It may look terrible, but at least those of you that are following along will know how to finish the job and not have to wait for me to get more leather for the rest of the story.  Patrick, I still plan on making me some knee high mocs in the not so distant future.  I'll do a build along when that happens.  Josh

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2015, 10:10:24 pm »
Good build along Doc, not sure I have the patience or skill to tackle the leather work required to make myself a pair but it sure is an interesting project to watch and your explaining and showing the steps well.
One full page of pics won't show up on my computer for some reason but I could still follow what you were doing through your script and visualize the steps as you explained each. Hey, maybe I could learn this cobbling after all. :)
Keep posting as time allows, I want to see the whole process and the finished project.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.