Author Topic: War Arrows  (Read 5314 times)

ozark caveman

War Arrows
« on: February 10, 2008, 10:15:10 pm »
I'm making a ELB and I wanted to ask if any of you have ever used 1/2" Oak dowels from the hardware store for war arrows? Any input is appreciated :)

Offline heavybow

Re: War Arrows
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 01:46:43 am »
You can try them. Just tapered down to 3/8 on the nock end. maple,ash,poplar, marlon

Miles

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 02:46:49 am »
A used some when I was experimenting with arrows there little too stiff and not historically what they use(I do not have a stiffness tester for any arrows shaft this big)…

But you can get birch 1/2 “ dowels for example are the about same price as Oak and birch is a historical wood used for warbow arrows.

You may need to get to a wood specialty store (like wood crafters) to get some. :D

You can try them. Just tapered down to 3/8 on the nock end. maple,ash,poplar, marlon

ditto what HvBow said
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 02:55:44 am by Miles »

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 05:00:52 pm »

I understand that it can be risky using dowel for arrows as it can have joins in it and the grain doesn't run straight etc. so be careful

I guess it depends what poundage bow you have, if its a 50lb bow then I guess its pretty safe, if its a 200lb one then you could be in trouble ?

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 06:15:44 pm »
If you are shooting 1/2" oak war arrows out of a 50lber take care if you have long feet, cos they ain't going much further:D

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 06:25:34 pm »
If you are shooting 1/2" oak war arrows out of a 50lber take care if you have long feet, cos they ain't going much further:D

I will have you know I got 82 yards in the John Holder challenge with a 45lb bow

I couldnt resist giving it a try when I made my first bow :-)