Author Topic: Finally... My Accurate Slingbow  (Read 5315 times)

Offline M.J

Finally... My Accurate Slingbow
« on: September 15, 2015, 08:31:43 am »
Hi guys!
I was introduced to this forum by my friend "Knoll", who I know from a slingshot forum. Slingshot shooting is my passion but I have had the urge to make an accurate target shooting "slingbow" for a few years now. There are slingbows on the market but most of them approach arrow shooting from an archer's perspective and I wanted one that shot as much like a normal slingshot as possible. I'm a top-level slingshot shooter and have developed a technique for it the same way that archers all have their own preferred style. I wanted to see if I could ever shoot arrows as well as I do round ammo.
I've been trying different ideas and refining ideas for a while and I feel like I've finally nailed down something that really works for me. My goal is to join you guys at an event in the Midwest (I live in Indiana) and shoot the course. I understand that my rig doesn't fit into any category but the power level is similar to a ~40lb bow (my draw weight is less than that, though). I have won a national slingshot tournament and placed second in two others and am a Guinness World Record holder (most cans hit in a minute with a slingshot). I love the camaraderie of tournaments and am itching to try out my skills in friendly competition.
Thanks for having me! I'm enjoying the bows and the primitive lifestyle articles very much :)
Here's my shooter:

And a couple videos, the first of some 10yd shooting:
https://youtu.be/1_9YygggBzk

And one from 25yd:
https://youtu.be/lCtLY3p7vhs

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Finally... My Accurate Slingbow
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 10:18:02 am »
Very cool! I personally think a sling bow is awesome! I was introduced to slingshots by Knoll as well. Although not as good, I enjoy shooting them.

I would like to try to hunt with a slingbow in Missouri I believe as long as it's a "string" released device I believe it's legal.

Come to mojam next year! But you may have to make a bow while your there!  >:D
Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 01:20:12 pm »
I would like to see some chrono testing. Compare a 40# bow with a 40# slingshot. That might tell us something about the efficiency of wood.

Offline M.J

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 01:43:56 pm »
40lb is a real nasty draw on a slingshot. I'd need a release to shoot that heavy. Something about "force vectors" or whatever. The same reason a longbow is easier to draw at any given weight than a shorter recurve.
I have a chrony that I'll try to get working again so that I can run some numbers.

Offline M.J

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 02:07:07 pm »
Ok, I fired up my Chrony (F1 model) and ran a few arrows over it. Arrows are Easton "Gamegetter 500" aluminum at 27.5". With inserts and 125gr field tips these arrows pencil out to 430 grains.
Draw weight is around 33lb. I'll have a definite number when I find my fish scale.
Average of 8 shots was about 114fps with a high of 116.9.
I'm honestly not sure how that compares to a bow, but that's what it is. I need to get some Gold Tips when funds permit!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 07:28:05 pm »
MJ, do you need the 27.5" arrow length because of your draw length? If not, making them shorter would make 'em faster ... true?

114 fps is on slow side compared to a selfbow. Lebhuntfish recently chrony'd 199 and Sleek followed up with 200 and JonW fired off a 200+. Those are up at high end.

Is the frame constructed from baltic birch plywood?

It's a hoot to watch ya shoot those groups!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 09:54:50 pm »
Very interesting.
There was a champ atatl guy at Bald Eagle this summer
that launched his dart from the center eliminating the spine factor.
Wonder if such a thing would enable your sling to cast a thinner
lighter projectile??
He was clocking 200 yards as I understand it.
I hoped to meet him but he got rained out.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 11:52:43 pm »

Cool! 8)  As a kid, I experimented with an arrow, and a sling shot.  What are the various cut outs for?

Wayne

Offline M.J

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 08:57:21 am »
MJ, do you need the 27.5" arrow length because of your draw length? If not, making them shorter would make 'em faster ... true?

114 fps is on slow side compared to a selfbow. Lebhuntfish recently chrony'd 199 and Sleek followed up with 200 and JonW fired off a 200+. Those are up at high end.

Is the frame constructed from baltic birch plywood?

It's a hoot to watch ya shoot those groups!
I could probably get by with a 26", really.
I could easily add more speed with more draw weight but that would diminish the fun and, probably, the accuracy. If I can get more speed through lighter arrows without increasing draw weight then I'll do that, otherwise I'll just get used to an arcing trajectory :)
Thanks! I'm glad you like the vids  8)

Stickbender- The cutouts are where the fletchings pass through. A slingbow that is held forks-upright, as many are, would be simpler but I use a sideways-hold so the shape of the slingbow accommodates that.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 11:33:02 am »
check out the slinshot channel on youtube.

Offline Marks

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 11:39:16 am »
Are you considering hunting or just targets?

Offline M.J

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 06:54:52 pm »
Are you considering hunting or just targets?
Just targets :)

Offline bow101

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 08:53:20 pm »
I would like to see some chrono testing. Compare a 40# bow with a 40# slingshot. That might tell us something about the efficiency of wood.

Wood bows can always be modified to increase performance.......... >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline M.J

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 09:30:46 pm »
I'm definitely not looking to start a "wood vs rubber" (that sounds dirty...) debate on an archery forum but I will say that I could increase the speed of my rig in seconds with a change of bands and then change it back just as easily.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 10:06:12 pm »
Is it from baltic birch ply?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857