Author Topic: Braintan  (Read 4411 times)

Offline Abo

Braintan
« on: September 24, 2015, 11:51:25 pm »
There is nothing like the feel and the smell of smoked braintan when you wear it.Its a tough job to make but when it turns out right it's worth every bit of it. Can I get an Amen.
John 3:16

Offline chamookman

Re: Braintan
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 03:52:40 am »
Amen ! Natures Gore-Tex. Great looking outfit Sir ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 04:14:31 am »
Yep love it also, getting about that time of year for me to start. :) Love the shirt.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 08:43:52 am »
Tell me about your flintlock, I am flintlock guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 09:23:08 am »
I love brain tanned too and some day I'll make myself a shirt.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Abo

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 11:40:19 am »
Eric the flint lock is a 45 cal. Pederzoli. I carry it at most rendezvous that I attend.Its a pretty nice gun but I'm sending pics of a gun a close friend made for me that's a real peach. It's a 62 cal. smooth bore octagon to round barrel with a Siler lock. The stock is a real nice piece of hard rock mapel. Tell me about your guns.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 03:25:56 pm »
I finished this English fowler this year, turkey gun, 38" 12ga barrel, jug choked full.

25 yard pattern with 1 1/4 oz of #4s, a little over a foot in diameter.

I made this 54cal Beck rifle a couple years ago, my first build and kinda' sloppy;

I have an old Gustomsky trade gun in 20ga;

And a .44 with a Bill Large barrel and a Roller lock, a tack driving rifle.

Here is the wood in the .44, unreal;

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 03:46:11 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Abo

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 03:44:51 pm »
Wow Eric you are the flintlock man. Very impressive. My smooth bore holds a pretty tight pattern with 4s and 6s mixed with a very light kork wad in front.Thats what I usually shoot limb rats with. I killed a real nice Tom with it also.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 06:39:44 pm »
This is going to sound really off in left field but..... A guy was experimenting with putting a whole 1/2" lubed fiber wad over his shot to see what would happen, dang if he didn't get a tighter pattern. I tried it and got a better pattern. Next I tried two 1/8" hard cards over my shot and got the pattern in the picture.

One light card over the shot.

Two 1/8" hard cards (lubed) over the shot;

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 06:50:17 pm »
Nice pattern Eric. I'm going to have to try that with my 12 gauge. I also have a William Large in 47 cal. and it's a tack driver, also. I like your skin clothes, Abo. I'm joining the Florida Frontiersmen this year and getting all of my stuff together. Did you make the canvas tent?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 12:20:28 am »

I have an Italian made, side by side 12 gauge cap lock, that I used, Winchester, Double A wads over the powder, and a punched out wad from a Styrofoam meat tray, and one over the shot.  I used to shoot doves with it, and had to shoot, then duck down, to see where the dove fell.  But it patterned very well, and shot buck shot excellent also.  When I was using it at a dove shoot with some friends, I took my Ithaca 12 gauge pump, because the doves were flying in frequent flocks, so I would shoot with my muzzle loader, and then take my model 37 and go pick up my doves, and then shoot some more with my Ithaca, and pick them up and go back to my place near the tree line, and if I had time, I would reload the muzzle loader, and shoot it again.  I was a lot of fun, and the funniest part was my Buddy said the guys on the other side of the field, kept asking what the hell kind of gun is he shooting, it sounds like a cannon!
                                    Wayne

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 05:34:48 am »
Thanks for the pics Guy, but You are killing Me. I'm just getting into the whole Flint Lock game. Have chosen the Era and My Persona and a Trade Gun will be My first Flinter. A Bud and I are building Kits this winter. Have had Percusion Guns in the past and looking forward to the transition. Seems that Primitive Archery & Flintlocks just go hand and hand. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 11:25:18 am »
Have you watched Mike's series on building a bucks county kit Bob? Long with a lot of segments but will give you an idea of what you are getting in to.

Here is the starting segment;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJBNg_NLASA

I have a TOW Issac Hanes kit waiting in the wings for a future build. I picked it up off the Stickbow classified of all places for about half what it was worth. A guy bought it and realized he didn't have the skills to put it together. He traded it to another guy for several bows. The second guy wanted to turn it over for some cash so I snapped it up. It has the best parts and wood and would cost about $1100 from Track. I got it for half that.   

Offline Abo

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 12:46:46 pm »
I'll have to try a half wad and see what it does. Hadn't tried anything different since I tried it making paper shells and just dumping the powder and shoving
 the rest down and shooting but it knocked a hole in the pattern that's when I went to the kork wads. I need to experiment more also with rounball to. No Mullet I didn't make the shelter it from Panther Primitives. I have a 12x12 hunter piaramid also. They are sunforger fire retarded canvas.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 04:50:15 am »
Thanks Eric, I'll check that out. Bob