Author Topic: elbow sore after shooting- what to do?  (Read 6426 times)

Offline richpierce

elbow sore after shooting- what to do?
« on: February 11, 2008, 06:48:40 pm »
I am getting a sore elbow after shooting and it lasts a couple of days.  Am I doing something wrong or is it jsut being old?  I am 55 and am shooting bows from 45-54 pounds.  I am just getting started shooting longbows I've made after being out of archery for 15 years.  I had compounds in the past but have no desire to do that now.

Should I get someone to look at my form, are there exercises, etc?

wvfknapper

Re: elbow sore after shooting- what to do?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 08:58:01 pm »
How many arrows are you shooting at a session? Try cutting back on the amount of time you spend shooting,, I wore my shoulder out one weekend and it was a week before I could even pick my bow up,  so don't overdo it.

wvflintknapper

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 09:11:04 pm »
See a doctor and rule anything serious out, then just build up to it. Are you locking your elbow out?
And holding the draw to long?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline donnieonetrack

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 01:29:07 pm »
Rich, I bet it's your string arm, I've had elbow problems for the last year in my drawing arm.  I'm taking joint care herbs but not seeing much improvement.  I shoot a couple of times a week and have been shooting for 40 years.

Let me know if you find something that works,

Take care,

Donnie   
Donnie Wilkerson
Gainesville, Florida

Offline richpierce

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 02:11:07 pm »
Thanks, guys, it is my string arm.  I shoot about 40 arrows at a time.  I don't know much about form or locking my elbow.  As a kid I started shooting bows, then got a compound which of course caused little strain in a young man.  Now I am making and shooting longbows of 45-54 pounds and I do not feel muscle strain.  I do not hold the full draw very long.  The pain is in the upper arm part of the elbow joint on the outside of the arm.  I naturally want to cock my elbow up when I draw but have been trying to keep it more level.  Does either way strain the elbow more or less?

I'll switch to my lighter bow and try cutting back to 2 dozen shots and see if I can work through it.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 08:37:19 pm »
If you slowly build up your strength by shooting and then allowing a break for the muscles to heal you will be shooting before long with little or no discomfort...I try to shoot at least 150 times a day. every day I can, to build strength and accuracy...also my friend Red Hawk can outshoot me so I have to stay on the mark to keep him from ribbing me too bad....lol Mike ....A/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Cromm

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 06:54:54 pm »
150 TIMES A DAY!!!!! :o :o What poundage bow do you shoot? Man i have got to try harder :-\. Thanks for your time.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 07:11:50 pm »
60# osage ... and 58 # osage laminate ... Just got done shooting about two hundred arrows at the target trying to get practiced up before spring bear season.. now i need some tylenol and a nap ;D ;D ;D ;)...getting too old... may cut back to fifty arrows a day...LOL Mike A/ho

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 09:21:30 pm »
yer only as old as ya act ;D by that reckonin I'm still a young whipper snapper ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 11:12:43 pm »
well said brother! well said..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 02:44:12 am »
Stop shooting for a while and let your elbow rest. I am almost 58 and "we" ain't what we used to be. :( A few years back I figured I put 10,000 arrows through my new glass LB. that was only 30 to 50 arrows a day and almost every day. I was starting to feel my elbows and shoulders so I cut that back drastically to 12 to 18 arrows a session in the off season and the last month before hunting season only one arrow at a deer target in the morning and/or evening. I will shoot a few at the Butt, occasionally,  just to keep muscles in shape.
   Your brain has been programed! Your concentration can always be honed more with few, if any negative results BUT!!! if your elbow or shoulder or wrist goes, it OVER! :(
  Your body was trained after many years of shooting a compound bow and now you have to retrain  muscles because of the different style of shooting. Give it a rest and try an anti-inflammatory of choice. ;D
     Pat

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC